TTORA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I've just been lurking and searching here lately. I'm trying to plan a SAS on my 96 4Runner. I'm looking to go with full widths. I've looked around my area a bit and have come up empty handed. I wondered if a D44 front and a D60 rear from a 76 ford "f-350" (I "-" because I'm not positive it's a 1 ton). Did 1 tons ever come with a D44 front? It does have a drivers side pinion. Also has anyone out there done a full width SAS on a 3rd gen 4Runner? I'd really like to see some pics.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Hey guys. I've just been lurking and searching here lately. I'm trying to plan a SAS on my 96 4Runner. I'm looking to go with full widths. I've looked around my area a bit and have come up empty handed. I wondered if a D44 front and a D60 rear from a 76 ford "f-350" (I "-" because I'm not positive it's a 1 ton). Did 1 tons ever come with a D44 front? It does have a drivers side pinion. Also has anyone out there done a full width SAS on a 3rd gen 4Runner? I'd really like to see some pics.
If it is a 350 it is a one ton truck. To my knowledge no one ton ever came with a d44 usually a d60 or a d70(only in dodge) front. Rears in the one ton depending on make will be d60, 70, or 80..14 bolt in General Motors. If it is a f-350 it should be a d60 front and d60 ff rear. The 75.5-77 ford d60 front are usually undesirable due to the low pinion with 30 spline inners and 19 spline outers. keep your eye out for 78-79 though:2cents:

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah. I knew I'd get told to search. The thing is I have been. I just wondered about a 76 ford with a D44 front (I figured it was a 3/4 ton) and if it would be a candidate and don't know where else to ask about this.

Mossy, what was the donor vehicle your front axle came from?

Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
I got it second hand but if I remember right it was a 78 f-250. high pinion full width 44. I did keep my waggy outers that I had originally though.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So are you still using the waggy leafs up front and chevys out back? Did the full width bolt in place of the waggy axle or did you have to scoot the leafs out somehow? Are you still running 37" tires? Could you fit 39.5"?

·
Registered
162 Posts
d44 in front and a d60 in the rear

I have a 97 4 runner that i just did the same swap that you are talking about. But to make it not look so wide, i put h2 stock rims on it which have a 5 1/2" backspacing I run 35's on the street and 37's off road. I chose to run disc brakes in the back if you do this you are going to have to change your master cyclinder and no one makes a swap for gen 3 so you will have to buy a 1 ton master for a chevy and then modify it to work. here is a couple pics

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
waggys up front with the second leaf out of a taco pack added. Stock chevys in the rear and Im still on 35s but going to 37s soon. Ill just bumpstop it a little more if it rubs.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
and I just set my hangers to the width of the perches. I didnt buy a kit with a set width if thats what your asking.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
I have a 97 4 runner that i just did the same swap that you are talking about. But to make it not look so wide, i put h2 stock rims on it which have a 5 1/2" backspacing I run 35's on the street and 37's off road. I chose to run disc brakes in the back if you do this you are going to have to change your master cyclinder and no one makes a swap for gen 3 so you will have to buy a 1 ton master for a chevy and then modify it to work. here is a couple pics
Nice rig, but you dont have to change the master unless you want to. I had the same set up (78 f-250 HP w/ 1/2 ton chevy outers, stock rear) in my old taco. I kept the stock master and after a chit ton of bleeding they worked fine (stock rear drums)

-Josh

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, it looks like I'll be going with the waggy 44 setup. There are NO D60s around here to be had. I don't want to buy them off of ebay mainly because I want to be able to inspect them before purchace, and it would cost an arm and a leg to ship them. I'll continue searching anyhow so I can swap them out later.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Nice rig, but you dont have to change the master unless you want to. I had the same set up (78 f-250 HP w/ 1/2 ton chevy outers, stock rear) in my old taco. I kept the stock master and after a chit ton of bleeding they worked fine (stock rear drums)

-Josh
thanks for the compalment...and you are right about not having to....IF you run drum brakes in the rear but i am running disc. and you need either a resi that has the relief valve and can move large quanities of fluid like on 1 ton drum brakes or amount that calipers flow....the stock resi just wont do it. the 1 ton resi has a 1 1/8 bore that is alot more fluid than that of the stock resi which is 7/8 i think.....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts