TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You guys running a ARB snorkel on your 3rd gen 4Runner, are you running a Tacoma version? I didn't see one listed specifically for the 3rd gen Runner?

·
Registered
631 Posts
Yep its the same one. It uses the same template and everything.

·
Registered
631 Posts
wow that is about the sickest looking 3rd gen i have seen got a build thread?
Thanks man. Ive got a build thread on a couple other forums but not on here. Probably should make one just never get around to it.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's what thought. Thanks for answering that for me. The other question I had was this, does the snorkel interfere with the power antenna? The motor part underneath the fender? Looks like it would get right in the way.

Thanks!

·
Registered
631 Posts
It doesn't interfere w/ the antenna. Mines still in there(doesn't work anymore but that's from hitting it on limbs not the snorkel). Most people kist end up doing the taco whip antenna though. You can seey power antenna in the pic above.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It doesn't interfere w/ the antenna. Mines still in there(doesn't work anymore but that's from hitting it on limbs not the snorkel). Most people kist end up doing the taco whip antenna though. You can seey power antenna in the pic above.
Sweet! Thanks Haddix, you've been a big help. Your rig really does look cool! I think I've seen your build thread somewhere else, can't remember where exactly.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Glad I could help. Yeah it's on a couple other forums. Sooo you gettin a snorkel?
Thinkin about it. The wife has always wanted a snorkel and her birthday is coming up so just thinking. But I wanted to clarify a couple things first. I figured it would look good with the ARB bumper I took of my taco and am putting on her runner. :D

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
My roommate's on his 4Runner. If you do change antennas, and actually wheel, I would suggest going to autozone or pepboys and buying one of the super flexy stubby antennas rather than the OEM Tacoma unit. mine was all bent and nearly ripped off numerous times because of it's height. it was a branch magnet

·
Registered
631 Posts
I think the earlier 3rd gens had the same intake tube as the tacos but on the later model 3rd gens you do need to get the intake tube. I had to have one for my 01. Went to a local junkyard and they actually gave me the piece for free.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK, figured I'd clarify a few things here for anyone looking to put a ARB snorkel on a 3rd Gen 4Runner.

1. The factory power antenna will not work with the snorkel. The mast is out of the way, but the actual motor sits DIRECTLY in front of the hole where the snorkel comes through the fender. I was going to try to make it work, but there was literally maybe a half inch between the outer rim of the snorkel to the motor. Anyone who's installed one of these knows that the elbow that goes up to the factory intake tube takes up the entire hollow area where the factory antenna motor would sit.

2. A lot of people usually just replace the entire antenna with one from a taco or a replacement shorty from the auto parts store. I'm going to give you a 3rd option that someone told me about at the T/O a few weeks ago. (I'm sorry I didn't get his name or screen name, I met him while gassing up, he was with a group of 3 other nice 3rd gens that were rolling around town.) Here's what you can do: First remove the mast from the whole assembly (see the FSM on how to do this), then remove the entire motor assembly from the veh. There are 3 screws at the very top of the motor, if you remove these 3 Phillip head screws then you can remove the outer mast guide and top fender mount from the actual motor. You can then slide the mast back into the the outer guide and reinstall the antenna using just the top mount. Your antenna will work like this, it just won't automatically go up and down any longer. You can push it up and down manually though for wheeling, better reception, etc.

3. I was told I needed the inner fender tube from a Tacoma. I was just going to steel the one from my 01 to save me some money. When I pulled the fender skirt off though, I found I already had the tube I needed. After doing some research, I've seen 2 96's that already had it and one 98. So before you buy the part from Toyota, take a look. If you have an early 3rd gen, you may get lucky! Seems the later 3rd Gens had a different intake tube.

4. I'm not going to debate here cold air intakes vs. sucking air through a straw vs. HP gains or losses. What I am going to give you is some cold hard numbers on air intake temps. I've had a scangauge on this rig all summer long. I've observed intake air temps as high as 171 deg and averaging 145 in Las Vegas stop and go traffic. Yesterday I drove the runner across town with a consistent air intake temp around 140 deg. After I installed the snorkel I drove the same route, later in the afternoon when the ambient air temp was hotter. What I noticed was the air intake temps ran a consistent 25 to 30 degrees cooler. It stayed right around 115 deg, which was just about 10 degrees warmer than the air outside. When it did get hotter than that (sitting in traffic), once I got moving again, it cooled down a much quicker before.

5. I didn't have to pull the outer fender flare as the directions suggest. I did have to pull the inner liner. In the process broke every clip that held it on. They are about $.90 a piece from Toyota, grab yourself about 8 of them. Part # 90189-06214 and they had them in stock.

Found this while searching the internet for 3rd gen snorkel right ups. A good right up with part #'s for extra pieces you may need.
http://www.yotatech.com/f2/2001-4runner-arb-safari-snorkel-install-3rd-gen-4runner-write-up-pictures-207506/

Now just because, here are a couple of pics.

Hope all this helps someone in the future!

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
good link.. I'll def be doing that cus I hate the stupid oem power antenna and rather just ditch it when I snorkel mine. I don't use my fm too much but I'd like to have the option. Do you pick up stations just as well or would you say it's better/worse?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Better, for sure. There is no interference when using the CB and Stereo at the same time either. Works perfect. Super easy to set up fit right behind the stereo out of the way. I also mounted my CB in the Ash Tray so the two are close anyway, but I think they can be as far apart as you need them to be with the right CB line length.

I think you can see pics of the CB here:

http://photobucket.com/4Runner4Sale

1 - 20 of 24 Posts