TTORA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the Toyota world but I use to have a 1995 4Runner and the tranny would not shift until it was warm and I found out through wonderful sites like this one that this is normal and just the way they were designed.

I just bought a 2002 4Runner and while playing in the mountains I drove over some snow that was only under my passenger side tires and a pretty light starts blinking on the dash as I rapidly loose power and it slows down. It was floored and it was like it was dying until we hit dirt again with the rear tires and the RPM's pick up.

I'm guessing that this is some type of traction control that I'm just not familier with but I can say that I don't like it. I'm also going to guess that this does not happen while it's in 4wd but I plan on going to the mountains this weekend again for some fishing and shooting and would like to know more about this tranny and traction control. My Heeps posi sure doesn't act like this.
Any information would be a help.

·
7,735 Posts
I'm not super familiar with the 02 4runner, but I have an 02 taco.. it has the a340F tranny and it doesn't like to shift when it's cold out either... I have a tranny gauge and it seems like 75* is about when it starts acting right.

As for the loss of power.. which light was it that was flashing?

·
Registered
6,489 Posts
I know that gen runner has the option for the center locking diff-tcase (for part time 4wd) with push button (full time) 4wd. not sure the intricacies of it but I know thats different than the taco tcase. that being said I dont have much other info to bring to the table.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think that the light said something like "slipping" and had a wavy line. It does have the locking center dif and there is a sticker on the underside of the hood that says that "this vehical is equipped with traction control".

It could be working correctly for all I know but I don't like it. When we got some snow about a month ago I first noticed something when I was screwing around in a parking lot and the dirt part just confirmed it.

·
Registered
691 Posts
usually there is button near the steering wheel to turn off the traction control.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts