TTORA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 3rd member is leaking some gear oil from the front part where it connects to the driveshaft. do you guys know what could be causing it?

it isnt leaking like crazy but i can tell its slow and continuous because it splattered all over my gas tank.

Is there a gasket or rubber seal in the front that is busted?

thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,329 Posts
your breather is blocked, and its pushing fluid out of the pinion seal.....

fix the breather.... it should subside... fill the diff back up too
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,347 Posts
trifenix said:
My 3rd member is leaking some gear oil from the front part where it connects to the driveshaft. do you guys know what could be causing it?

it isnt leaking like crazy but i can tell its slow and continuous because it splattered all over my gas tank.

Is there a gasket or rubber seal in the front that is busted?

thanks.
The replacement seal is probably under $10 (pinion seal) they are simple to replace.

You need to remove the 4 bolts that are holding the driveshaft on. Pull the driveshaft off the diff.

Pull off the flange nut and remove the flange. pull the seal, I've used a screw driver and a hammer, but make sure not to knick the surface on the diff. Install new seal with rubber mallet so it is flush.

Tighten the pinion nut till the flange doesn't have any play. Tighten, check, tighten, check. you don't want to crush the crush sleve spacer on the pinion. Its a 30mm nut I believe.

Put your driveshaft back on. Take it for a test drive. If you have any bearing noises, or noises period. You need to have new bearings put in.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,347 Posts
jimbo74 said:
your breather is blocked, and its pushing fluid out of the pinion seal.....

fix the breather.... it should subside... fill the diff back up too
My bet, his pinion nut backed off a hair, allowing the pinion to move slightly, taking out the pinion seal.

A blocked breather is possible...


I'd check both. If there is ANY play in the pinion flange. Time to replace the pinion seal.. or worse. replace pinion seal and need new diff bearings.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well i just had a truetrac installed so i dont think there should be any play? unless i did something wrong offroading. The R/P checked out clean and they replaced the carrier bearings.

ill check the breather i hope that is the cause. any ideas how to clean it? thx
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,347 Posts
I would check play on the pinion flange! It takes 10 minutes. If they messed with the pinion at all, they may have not staked and lock-tite'd the pinion nut. It could have backed off. CHECK IT. I have seen this happen quite a few times. 90% of the time, the seal was gone and allowing it to leak. We caught the loose nut/flange in time the for the other 10%. I've never personally seen a clogged breather cause the pinion to leak.
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top