TTORA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My truck currently will not start.

When I turn the key, I hear a repeating clicking noise coming from the engine bay. The battery still has charge, and all the dash lights/radio still work. Still, I cleaned some corrosion off and tried to jump start the engine, but had no results.

Right now I'm thinking that the starter is dead, but I just wanted to know if anyone else had some insight to the issue.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update

Quick update:

It turns out the issue actually was the battery terminals. The positive terminal got mangled when I installed my CB and was providing enough power for the dash, but not enough to turn the starter.

New plan is to replace the wires and the battery.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Don't celebrate too soon. Starters often work sporadically when they start to go. Could be coincidence that you cleaned the terminals and now it works. Been there, done that.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Don't celebrate too soon. Starters often work sporadically when they start to go. Could be coincidence that you cleaned the terminals and now it works. Been there, done that.
Yea I agree. I had this same issue when I first got my truck. Would start perfect one day and not at all the next. The solution was to go to the local auto-electric shop with my start contacts and get brand new ones for $6. Can't beat that.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've replaced the terminal contacts and the battery has had some time to recharge a little, so its to the point where it will start consistently. I'm going to replace the battery eventually instead of getting it fully recharged because it's old as hell.

If it completely fails to start again, I'll look back into a starter rebuild, but for now I'm pretty convinced that the issue was the positive terminal contact.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Check ground, where negative battery cable connects to engine block, if clean.:2cents::D

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The ground is fine, though now it's just barely long enough to reach the terminal since I've replaced the connection.

·
STITCH - Come and Take it!
9,051 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts