Hey what's up 3RZ crushers!!!

I'm running the 2.7L 4cyl 3RZ motor in a 1997 4x4 5spd Tacoma with 31s

The motor already has:
CAI
Electric Fans
Throttle body spacer
LCE Header
Flowmaster 40

The truck has gotten as high as 23mpg avg over a whole tank but usually winds up averaging between 19-21mpg on a tank.

The truck does great around town and on flat freeways but you all know she doesn't like the hills.

I am looking for more power and maintaining high MPG. Has anyone done the stage II kit from LCE with the injectors, intake manifold and throttle body? How has that affected MPG?

Also has anyone turbo'd the motor? S/C?

How did that affect the power and the fuel economy?

·
Registered
79 Posts
If your gonna drop all that money it would just be easier to swap a small block v8 in there. I mean the 3rz motor can make a lot of power but I would much rather have v8 in my truck than a hopped up 4 banger. Just my 2 cents.

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,213 Posts
If your gonna drop all that money it would just be easier to swap a small block v8 in there. I mean the 3rz motor can make a lot of power but I would much rather have v8 in my truck than a hopped up 4 banger. Just my 2 cents.
Shoot, you could throw in a Stock 3.4 V6 in there and still have more power!

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
Shoot, you could throw in a Stock 3.4 V6 in there and still have more power!
yeah, but with the same effort, time and $ you could have a multitude of engines that out power the 3.4 (1jz, 1uz, 7mgte, 4.3, etc).

3rz - 5vz have different trans, motor mounts, and wiring

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,431 Posts
Depending on where the person is located in CA, smog compliance might be an issue, so all the V8 type upgrades are out.

To the OP- In my opinion, you have done most everything that you can to the engine that doesn't cost a pile of money or rob you of fuel mileage. You can go the turbo or S/C route, but they are both pricey and will ultimately cost you MPGs.

·
Registered
6,489 Posts
I have a k&n intake and an LCE header on mine. FWIW, the k&n is the biggest piece of shit on the market. Its caused more problems than its gotten rid of. The LCE header did improve low end torque but I didnt notice any significant power increase. like others have said, I wouldnt sink much money into the 2.7 if youre looking for power. If you want power drop in a 3.4 or smallblock. If you want a reliable, tough-as-nails, proven powerplant that runs like a clock and sips gas no matter what, stick with the 2.7.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
CWest -- It's got the stock gears and it reads about 6% under what speed it is actually doing. It had little tires on it at first but then it got the 31s. ...Is there a gear ratio that changes it by 6% ? That should help her get up the hills!

Yeah CA Smog laws are a bitch I can't believe they are so F'd when the rest of the country can run whatever they want whenever they want. I'm living in AZ right now and let me tell you the laws here are much more friendly to life that Ca.

So everyone is saying just swap motors.... but CA sucks for smog compliance. Then the S/C T/C is just a bunch of money for less mpg and a bit more power.

It sounds like the only possible option would be to do the ported intake manifold with new fuel injectors and a bored over throttle body from LCE. ...LCE said that kit would help improve fuel mileage until you get on the pipe then it would decrease it if you are gassing it hard. Seems sensible. It also offer 10-15hp so that should be noticeable... all for around $1000

The 2.7L motor is badass though, 260,000 miles on this one and it runs like a champ. It also sounds great and drives really comfortable with the torque being higher than the hp.

·
Banned
4,181 Posts
...LCE said that kit would help improve fuel mileage until you get on the pipe then it would decrease it
Why would smoking crack decrease fuel milage? :lmao:

Things like tb spacers are not helping power or mpg either, LCE is asking a lot of money for 10 hp, and it would be worth it if the engine was an all out racer but not a stock motor.

Change your gears. :2cents:

·
Registered
1 Posts
96 Tacoma 2.7

HI everyone, 1st post here.

I have a 96 Tacoma 2.7

Mods/upgrades:

Fresh rebuild engine with deleted balance shafts & ported head
LC engineering big bore throttle body
Cut out resonators of stock intake and added a noisy cone filter (had to raise from where the air came in due to sucking up water with stock air box)
3.8 Taurus fan with custom fiberglass shroud
2.5” Magna flow cat back
2001 stock mini header
URD MAF Sensor Calibrator – most recent install
URD rear O2 sim – the Magna flow exhaust sounds good but is too loud for me so I am going to delete the cat and put a resonator in its place.

None of the mods really did anything noticeable until I installed the URD MAF controller. I have it running now with the preloaded setting which Gadget set. Needless to say, the truck runs so much better and I can use 5th gear again on the highway with 3” lift and 32” Dynapro MT’s. The URD controller is the best $200 I spent so far and there is still more to benefit from it once I start tuning.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
HI everyone, 1st post here.

I have a 96 Tacoma 2.7

Mods/upgrades:

Fresh rebuild engine with deleted balance shafts & ported head
LC engineering big bore throttle body
Cut out resonators of stock intake and added a noisy cone filter (had to raise from where the air came in due to sucking up water with stock air box)
3.8 Taurus fan with custom fiberglass shroud
2.5” Magna flow cat back
2001 stock mini header
URD MAF Sensor Calibrator – most recent install
URD rear O2 sim – the Magna flow exhaust sounds good but is too loud for me so I am going to delete the cat and put a resonator in its place.

None of the mods really did anything noticeable until I installed the URD MAF controller. I have it running now with the preloaded setting which Gadget set. Needless to say, the truck runs so much better and I can use 5th gear again on the highway with 3” lift and 32” Dynapro MT’s. The URD controller is the best $200 I spent so far and there is still more to benefit from it once I start tuning.
I can use 5th upto 90 with 35s and 300k on the clock......

·
Banned
146 Posts
Why don't you just call Fat Peformance to see if they have one of Jeff Kincaid's old 2.7liter 300hp motors laying around...

Here in Wisconsin it was sweet to see the Tacoma's dominate the off-road racing short tracks over the years and Fat Performace was one of the keys to giving solid motors to the Toyota camp.

·
Registered
540 Posts

The motor already has:
CAI
Electric Fans
Throttle body spacer
LCE Header
Flowmaster 40

The truck has gotten as high as 23mpg avg over a whole tank but usually winds up averaging between 19-21mpg on a tank.

The truck does great around town and on flat freeways but you all know she doesn't like the hills.

I am looking for more power and maintaining high MPG. Has anyone done the stage II kit from LCE with the injectors, intake manifold and throttle body? How has that affected MPG?

I did the cams/ header/ cai and they were all ok but the S/C made a huge difference and it did lower my mpg by about 2-3 mpg but the s/c makes it night and day half the throttle that you would normally to start off from a light much better passing and just hit boost for fun
the upgrade was worth every penny and makes all the other upgrades seem pale and makes me wish I only s/c and saved the other money
my mpg on my pre-runner with 32 inch tires that are very heavy 8ply (killing my mpg) is about 18 mpg my old tires that were lighter I got 19.5

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts

The motor already has:
CAI
Electric Fans
Throttle body spacer
LCE Header
Flowmaster 40

sounds like you have 3.58 gearing assuming the 'smaller tires' it came with were 225s (stock on 3.58 geared 2.7 reg cab 4x4s). Regear to 4.30s with your 31s. (stock gearing from '00 for 2.7, 5sp with factory 31s)
best/cheapest option is to find a used set of OE 4.30 diffs since that ratio is not available aftermarket.

other than that...SC :D

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So the supercharged motor with the 32s gets 19.5?? SICK!!!!

Do want!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a k&n intake and an LCE header on mine. FWIW, the k&n is the biggest piece of shit on the market. Its caused more problems than its gotten rid of. The LCE header did improve low end torque but I didnt notice any significant power increase. like others have said, I wouldnt sink much money into the 2.7 if youre looking for power. If you want power drop in a 3.4 or smallblock. If you want a reliable, tough-as-nails, proven powerplant that runs like a clock and sips gas no matter what, stick with the 2.7.
What exactly happened with the k&n? MAF problems? Same thing is happening to mine and I can’t keep a MAF sensor with a cold air intake. Has anyone figured out a way around it or am I going to have to go back to stock intake?

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,431 Posts
Dirty MAF? K&Ns are known for that. I've been running a TrueFlow filter with great success, but they are no longer made. Switched to an AFE filter now. Hoping it works as well as the TrueFlow.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts