TTORA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I've been getting a weird wine from my truck and I first thought it was the power steering pump so I've flushed it twice and no change in the noise, so I got under my truck the other night and it sounded like it was coming from the bottom of my engine. I've talked two people and they have both pointed me to the timing chain and the chair rollers. Does anyone have experience with the timing chain and what the symptoms are?

Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
No one?

Tapatalk

·
Registered
715 Posts
I was always told that when the timing chain was going it would let you kno by sounding like marbles being shook in a coffee can....you said yours was whining i dont kno what thats for but doesnt sound like timing chain...take a stethlascope or long handled screw driver and put it at the front of your engine where the chain is and listen

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had a long night with my truck last night to say the least. I realized you can see the timing chain through the oil fill plug so I pulled that and didn't see anything out of normal and I didn't hear anything that would raise concern. I ended up pulling each belt off one at a time and starting my truck to make sure it wasn't accessories, but it turns out it was my alternator. Just sucks because this is my 3rd or 4th alt in just under 2 years

Tapatalk

·
Administrator
18,233 Posts
Its probably the front bearing on the alternator. I've had one of those go out in the 300k miles on my 3rz. I just pulled the alternator and replaced the bearing. Cost me $15.

As for the timing chains, there is no such thing as chain rollers. You have the chain, sprockets on the cams, crank and balance shaft, the 2 chains and chain guides with tensioners for each. The description of marbles rattling around is pretty close to what a bad chain sounds like. If the tensioner or guide goes out, the chain slacks and slaps the front cover. You get a noticeable sound as noted from this. The good thing is the guide is metal and it along with the tensioner rarely fail. I've only heard of this happen once here on this board.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I've got a warranty on this alt so I'm just going to drop it off and pick up a new one, I've got my spare in for now. But I'm damn glad it wasn't anything with the chain, I started looking into it and I did not have the time or money to pull off my head and start replacing shit

Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts