TTORA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright so I'm going to be throwing a turbo onto my pile but I want to see if anyone has knowledge on doing this.

First off I would be throwing a GT25 onto it and I would only be running max of 6 psi in my motor. And what do you guys do for a manifold? I found KOracing and didn't know if you guys had a better cheaper idea.

My main concern is putting that kind of stress on my motor, it's got 216k and has never been opened up. Does anyone see an issue with this or is my motor still strong enough to handle small amounts of boost.

Tapatalk

·
Registered
337 Posts
Alright so I'm going to be throwing a turbo onto my pile but I want to see if anyone has knowledge on doing this.

First off I would be throwing a GT25 onto it and I would only be running max of 6 psi in my motor. And what do you guys do for a manifold? I found KOracing and didn't know if you guys had a better cheaper idea.

My main concern is putting that kind of stress on my motor, it's got 216k and has never been opened up. Does anyone see an issue with this or is my motor still strong enough to handle small amounts of boost.

Tapatalk
Do it, run 5 PSI and give it a bit more oil capacity. Be prepared to buy a short block to swap in prolly 150k mi. later. No sweat! :cool:

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do it, run 5 PSI and give it a bit more oil capacity. Be prepared to buy a short block to swap in prolly 150k mi. later. No sweat! :cool:
150k no prob. If I blow it I'm gonna drop a cummins in it :)

Tapatalk

·
Registered
337 Posts

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don't worry it's only if I blow my motor. I don't see either one of these happening

Tapatalk

·
Registered
422 Posts
gt25 is tiny... you will start spooling off idle and be out of steam around 4000-4500 rpm....
gt28 is the right size for the 3rz...
LCE sells the steedspeed manifold which is heavy duty, and KO makes a mani / whole kit which is nice. paradise racing makes a manifold, as does PSI racing, evil3tec, etc. etc....

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
gt25 is tiny... you will start spooling off idle and be out of steam around 4000-4500 rpm....
gt28 is the right size for the 3rz...
LCE sells the steedspeed manifold which is heavy duty, and KO makes a mani / whole kit which is nice. paradise racing makes a manifold, as does PSI racing, evil3tec, etc. etc....
I would rather have that spool off the line, im not building it to race i just want some MPGs and a little more power. and thanks for the manifolds

have you done a turbo on a 3rz before?

·
Registered
422 Posts
Nah, but know quite a few who have.
You will actually get worse mileage with the smaller turbo because you will always be in boost. With the bigger turbo you can drive around pre-spool and get stock mpg's...

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nah, but know quite a few who have.
You will actually get worse mileage with the smaller turbo because you will always be in boost. With the bigger turbo you can drive around pre-spool and get stock mpg's...
but i thought you were supposed to get better mileage than a naturally aspirated motor... do you know how many miles people had on there motor when the turboed it, and if they did anything to to top or bottom end of the motor.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Typically alot lower miles than yours has. I'd say 50-125,000 miles. There are a number of people that have supercharged high mileage 3.4's... but i don't know about 3rz's.
The main thing that's going to keep the motor together is a solid tune.... If you want high boost (over 7psi) you're going to want to add a cometic headgasket and ARP head studs. Honestly i'd buy a motor and put rods and pistons, HG and studs, and not have to worry about it again. If you were at a lower mileage i would say just do it.

You can do low boost, but i wouldn't go higher than 4 or 5 psi, especially if you don't do fuel / timing mods.

The KO racing turbo kit is probably your best bet, easy to install, reliable, etc. includes all the hoses and fittings you will need. If you're time is valuable, it's much better to get a kit.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Typically alot lower miles than yours has. I'd say 50-125,000 miles. There are a number of people that have supercharged high mileage 3.4's... but i don't know about 3rz's.
The main thing that's going to keep the motor together is a solid tune.... If you want high boost (over 7psi) you're going to want to add a cometic headgasket and ARP head studs. Honestly i'd buy a motor and put rods and pistons, HG and studs, and not have to worry about it again. If you were at a lower mileage i would say just do it.

You can do low boost, but i wouldn't go higher than 4 or 5 psi, especially if you don't do fuel / timing mods.

The KO racing turbo kit is probably your best bet, easy to install, reliable, etc. includes all the hoses and fittings you will need. If you're time is valuable, it's much better to get a kit.
yeah the high mileage is the scary part. but i think im going to back off of this idea because i can afford the parts or the down time to rebuild the lower end, and i dont want to risk throwing a rod by not doing it.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Sounds like a smart plan, i was at the same mileage and was about to sc my 3.4 and decided against it... Decided to save the pennies instead and get as many miles i can out of this one.... (More worried about the tranny tho...)

·
Registered
123 Posts
Very cool project!
Tuning, tuning , tuning. What are your plans for tuning? That and the right tuner are going to be the biggest factors and will make or break the engine's performance and longevity, no matter how you build it.

What fuel are you going to run?

Before you even start to think about this project do a compression leakdown test to make sure you aren't taking the expensive and frustrating road to that Cummins.

Get and install an wideband 02 gauge and get the best tuner you can find.

Run an intercooler. You can pick up used Evo intercoolers for a good deal. They are lightweight and very efficient for their size. I have some spare aluminum intercooler piping I can ship to you that will come in handy, send me a PM and we'll work that out.

What about cams? Is your clutch and transmission going to be ready to transfer that extra torque? Any idea what clutch you'll be running?

Do you already have a T25? I agree a T28 would be better. I had one on an SR20DET, they are very efficient for their size and will produce more power more efficiently than the T25 and the ball bearing center section will allow it to spool about as quickly as the T25. I actually have a pair of brand new T28 housings I've had sitting in my garage for about 8 years that I would love to give you.

Don't think the turbo is going to help your MPG at all. More air=more fuel. Smaller quicker spooling turbos like this will be in boost earlier and more often therefore requiring more fuel.

I support your idea, but I'm curious if and why you are determined to used the 3RZ? They are great engines but IMO to make the most of this project a built block would be worthwhile. Expensive I know but so is turbocharging an N/A engine and then blowing it. With all the effort and money put into this N/A-T project you may not see very big power gains unless you turn the boost up, and a high mileage stock 3RZ block may not handle that very well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts