TTORA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that this swap gets brought up every few years, and now its my turn to bring it up again.

Basically my buddy just got an '89 truck that's in rather good condition for our neck of the woods, but the 3.0 is knocking something fierce, with the scope, it is definitely in the bottom end, probably a spun rod bearing... well a gone rod bearing.

So I have a 2nd gen 3sgte, a few turbos, several ecus and a mixmash of other parts all from spending too much money on my mr2, and we think that the 3sgte should probably make its way into truck. :welder:

Supporting mods that we can think of so far would be a w58 bell housing, a higher volume/pressure fuel pump, hunting a little more for the '89 sr5 body harness p/o, and obviously getting it mounted up. We aren't sure if the oil pan will clear yet, and we haven't been able to find anyone who has actually done the swap, so we will expect to have problems.

We do a bunch of mild wheeling, no crawling really, but 5.10s or 4.90s may make their way into the truck depending on how it does if we get the swap done and running.

Uh, so any suggestions?

·
Registered
422 Posts
Ohhh... where to start.

3sgte is a FWD motor so it will be fun making it fit perpendicularly.

3sgte is more of a pain than a 3vze to work on

it is not a great choice for a truck... unless you were planning on having it in a high speed truck, i would not consider a 3sgte for crawling, at all.
Stock it spools at or over 3000rpm... i think the weight of the truck would really bog it down. Hell having a few people in my alltrac really bogged it down.

Lastly.. it's a 2L... you're going to be wringing it out to 6000 rpm just to get it to go anywhere... i'd stick to a 3rz / 5vz, but that's just me. or go all F&F with a 1jz/2jz

Oh yeah... never heard of 4.90 or 5.10 gears...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
heh having a few people in my '94 22re with stock gearing would result in minimal acceleration...

But yeah, the motor makes about 260 horse and 245 TQ, so it will be a bit more peppy but it certainly won't be a race machine.

Nothing wrong with a few RPM's :D

Sorry, more like 4.88 or 5.13, not sure why i elected to round... (didn't realize 5.13's were not really a Toyota thing)

I don't think the transaxle orientation of the motor will effect anything provided we can acquire the w58 bell housing, then everything bolts up and we just fab mounts.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yeah, little bro's graduation and holidays had me unable to work on the truck nearly every weekend in June :banghead: Oh well, 'yota made millions of these trucks and I only have one brother :D

anyway transaxle shouldn't matter, just going to need to plan on having the motor sit 15-20 degrees off vertical as it did in the mr2 so as to not jack with lubrication. That'll make for some fun motor mounts, and I'll probably have the only 'yota p/u with a slant four ;)

I think the short term plan will be to rebuild the 3.0 with a couple cheap mods for pep (crossover delete, EGR delete, etc) to get the truck on the road; then spend the next nine months planning and beginning the 3sgte conversion. As for lots of pics, I'll probably start a build thread for the rebuild, as well as for sure one on the convo.

btw, Bandido your pics didn't work :(

1 - 6 of 6 Posts