TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i have a 98 std.cab 4x4 2.7 tacoma with stock 4:10's. Ive get a 3+3 lift and im running 33x12.5's. Im planning on getting some lower gears, have done tons of research but im still indecisive. The only thing thats holding me back from 4:88's is that i drive on the highway 32 miles or so to and from work and school 4days a week. And im afraid gas mileage at 70-75mph will kill me with 4:88's. But im also afraid 4:56's will be to doggish and not enough gear for the $ spent. I would just like you guys to give your opinions on which ones to go with and why. Anybody out their with 4:56's and 33x12.5's please chime in and tell me if you are happy with them, and if they perform decent on inclines and upgrades on the highway. And what kind of MPG are you getting? Because i used to get 19 with my current setup, now im getting 15-16, but maybe thats because its winter. Thanks!

·
Registered
947 Posts
you mean poll? If so, I would vote 4.56.

edit: as for why? I have researched it and have figured that I will be at 2300 rpms at 70 mph with 4.56 gears and 33" tires with my 2.7 auto. I think that will be perfect.

·
Big tars, little bed.
8,407 Posts
A pole? Where? The south pole or the north pole? Did you mean poll? Like a voting poll? Where is the poll? You must've forgotten it. But their is hope, since there is no poll, to get you your answers.

SEARCH!

and if thats too hard, repost here. And dont forget you're POLE this time. :D

NEWBIE TECH

·
Big tars, little bed.
8,407 Posts
jhunter said:
you mean poll? If so, I would vote 4.56.

edit: as for why? I have researched it and have figured that I will be at 2300 rpms at 70 mph with 4.56 gears and 33" tires with my 2.7 auto. I think that will be perfect.
Well what if he really meant POLE?

and that was a quick edit. :D

·
Registered
947 Posts
GOT COPE? said:
Well what if he really meant POLE?

and that was a quick edit. :D

You mean that pole that goes to the gears to the tires? I think its called an axal ;) or axle or something? It looks like a pole a little. You could use them to setup a volleyball net if you wanted.

·
Registered
947 Posts
ShowStop said:
How do you wheel it? Lots of slow rock crawling or mud and fire roads and easier stuff? 4.88s would be preferrable for the rock crawling, 4.56s would be good for just all around.
Very true. My post was considering driving it & wheeling it. I would go with 4.88's if all I was doing was wheeling. They would not be good for my 1200 mile trips to go hiking in New Mexico/Colorado however.

·
Big tars, little bed.
8,407 Posts
tacomaman87 said:
So i have a 98 std.cab 4x4 2.7 tacoma with stock 4:10's. Ive get a 3+3 lift and im running 33x12.5's. Im planning on getting some lower gears, have done tons of research but im still indecisive. The only thing thats holding me back from 4:88's is that i drive on the highway 32 miles or so to and from work and school 4days a week. And im afraid gas mileage at 70-75mph will kill me with 4:88's. But im also afraid 4:56's will be to doggish and not enough gear for the $ spent. I would just like you guys to give your opinions on which ones to go with and why. Anybody out their with 4:56's and 33x12.5's please chime in and tell me if you are happy with them, and if they perform decent on inclines and upgrades on the highway. And what kind of MPG are you getting? Because i used to get 19 with my current setup, now im getting 15-16, but maybe thats because its winter. Thanks!
Honestly, Id vote for the 4.88's.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
I've got the 2.7L and will be going with 4.88's and 33's. With the manual tranny it is the optimal setup, even for mainly highway miles. For the past week I have been running my truck in 4th to replicate the rpm's of this setup and I have lost nothing in fuel mileage - don't believe me??? Try it.
IMO - Run the 2.7L @ 3,000 rpm and that it perfect. Best balance between fuel mileage and longevity.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Haha, yes i ment POLL, sorry guys. And yeah i have the 5spd manual tranny. And i travel 32 mile or so one way each day...so like 64 round trip. Thanks

·
Registered
499 Posts
I just drove to baja and back from Florida with a 2.7 5spped 4.88 and 33" tires I got between 16 and 20 miles per gallon depending on how hilly in was. That was also loaded tot he hilt with 3 weeks gear, tool, 4 gas can etc.

Go for the 4.88 you will regret it. The confortable cruising speed is about 70-75 mph.

·
Registered
337 Posts
4:88's with 33" tires will be just like you had stock gears and tires, 4;56'
s are not low enough to do you any good, I have 4;56 gears and 33's and wish I had the 4:88's just for street driving, a doubler would make them perfect for all around driving and wheelling ;)

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
ShowStop said:
How do you wheel it? Lots of slow rock crawling or mud and fire roads and easier stuff? 4.88s would be preferrable for the rock crawling, 4.56s would be good for just all around.

And you didn't move this pole hole of a thread ? :shame:

Where's a "Mini-Mod" when you need one ? :lmao:

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
4.10 to 4.56 a small step and is hardly worth doing. BTW rpms don't have much to do with MPG, its all about throttle position. Gear your truck to be in the powerband at the speeds you drive and you'll love it. If you want gas mileage buy a Corolla and drive like grandma. :D

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have a 2.7L manual. I'm running 33's with 4.88's. This setup has me nearly 18-19mpg on the freeway I was getting 23mpg stock. At 75mph I'm at 3100rpms. You'll love the 4.88's power on the trail vs. the 4.56's.

·
Registered
947 Posts
What you have to consider is your trucks setup. With the 2.7 auto trans, 4.56 are way better than 4.88's with 33's. 4.88's are too low of gears. I have driven both, and researched the hell out of it. Now, I have yet to drive the manual trans, but from research and posts here, it seems that 4.88's are the perfect setup, and 4.56's are not low enough. If you have a V-6, its a totally different story on what is optimal.

So: Here is the best setup for a 2.7 with 33's

Auto- 4.56
Manual - 4.88

This is of course if you plan to continue to drive your truck on the street & offroad, and want a great setup for both.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
4.88's hands down. I loved my 33's 4.88 2.7l 5spd combo. I used to get 20mpg on the highway and i have tons of heavy armor and crap always on the truck. Also it will be great on the trail and leave you room for upgrading for when you sas it and go to 35's :D

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
jhunter said:
What you have to consider is your trucks setup. With the 2.7 auto trans, 4.56 are way better than 4.88's with 33's. 4.88's are too low of gears. I have driven both, and researched the hell out of it. Now, I have yet to drive the manual trans, but from research and posts here, it seems that 4.88's are the perfect setup, and 4.56's are not low enough. If you have a V-6, its a totally different story on what is optimal.

So: Here is the best setup for a 2.7 with 33's

Auto- 4.56
Manual - 4.88

This is of course if you plan to continue to drive your truck on the street & offroad, and want a great setup for both.
You got that back asswards...

Auto - 4.88
Manual - 4.56
(Autos have an overdrive... Manuals do not...)

And that's what many run for the 3.4

So I might think... (But I don't know shiat on the 2.7 L's)
That one might even consider...

Auto - 5.29
Manual - 4.88

Use the calculator Here For figuring out the best RPM for your needs...

·
Registered
947 Posts
TacoDell said:
You got that back asswards...

Auto - 4.88
Manual - 4.56

And that's what many run for the 3.4

So I might think... But I don't know shiat on the 2.7's
That one might even consider...

Auto - 5.29
Manual - 4.88
Nope, not according to the online calculators and what people say. I can tell you that if I had 5.29's in my auto 2.7 with 31's I would be over 4000 rpms at 70. With 33's I would be at around 3700. Right now I am at 2450-2500 with 4.56's and 31's. With 33's it will drop to 2200-2300. I guess if all I did was rock crawl, I would consider the 5.29's. Now with the 2.7 and manual, peoples rpm's are a lot higher in all situations. So, with the same setup 4.56, manual, 31's people are already close to 3000 rpm's at 70. Check out my RPM @ 70 thread. At least that is what I have got out of it.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts