TTORA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am looking in to getting a tacoma at the first of the year (fingers crossed). i would like about a 99 model extended cab with 4x4. i know i can get a 4 cyl. cheaper than a 6 cyl. but i have never really liked 4 cylinder vehicles. I was just wondering what your thoughts were on the 4 cyl. (power and durability wise). i currently have a 91 explorer with a 4.0 v6 and would like something with a little more power. thanks
 

·
concussed
Joined
·
1,159 Posts
i have the 2.7 and have wheeeled the crap out of it for 200thou plus miles.:xrocker:
it dont use oil between changes and has as much power as when i first got it.
once your in 4low it dont matter what engine you have,but a V6 would be nice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,478 Posts
The 22r is one of the great motors of all time. It's durability is the stuff of legend. It WILL NOT deliver more power than a 4.o ford 6 unless it is rather heavily breathed on.... and I don't mean a chip, intake and exhaust. My last 4 cyl. was a ranger, built to the hilt. Pistons, valves, intake work, 2mm over valves, falicon crank, all of it. It made 220hp. It friggin' FLEW. Ate lifters like tic tacs, had to be spun up to about 5,000rippems to get any heat at all. From 5- the ceiling, about 8,000 was really hot. I know some taco racers who had street trucks that were even HOTTER. It is not condusive to towing, or even street cruising at all. And, you aint gonna smog those motors, ever. But, I drive my buddy's 2.7, auto trans taco from time to time, and the power is actually not bad, certainly not embarrassing. With 4wd, you can always go 4-lo, and the motor is plenty capable there to do most sane manuevers. And, you'll get like 22-27mpg doing it. Or, there is a shop in Arizona who specializes in 4cyl toyotas that can embarrass some small v-8's. It won't be cheap, for sure! Good luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
I have a 2.7l. It's a '97 with auto and 31x10.5's on it. Orig. gears and drive line. Just change the oil regularly, I do the pugs every 4 or 5 months and maintain your air filter. It does pretty damn good for a 4 cyl. and I HATE 4 cyls. Good on gas. Have 118,000 miles on it, and it runs strong still. On the other hand, would love to have something with more power just to make me feel more friggin' manly! Lol. I have gotten aftermarket headers for it after the OEM one cracked. Cost about $250, but gave the exhaust tone a much deeper, "throaty" sound. Made a lot of differance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
565 Posts
boombastico said:
i am looking in to getting a tacoma at the first of the year (fingers crossed). i would like about a 99 model extended cab with 4x4. i know i can get a 4 cyl. cheaper than a 6 cyl. but i have never really liked 4 cylinder vehicles. I was just wondering what your thoughts were on the 4 cyl. (power and durability wise). i currently have a 91 explorer with a 4.0 v6 and would like something with a little more power. thanks
The 2.7 HAS as much power as your exploder :D, you won't be missing a thing.

I really like my 2.7. And a s stated before they don't burn ANY oil, even after 125,000 miles. The manifolds are [email protected], but then you get to upgrade to a decent header when they crack :).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
170 Posts
I had never owned a 4cyl either and I have one now. I have never liked a truck more in my life. The gas mileage is great and the power is more then my v6 3.0 that I used to own before this one came into my life. I have heard nothing but great things about the life of these engines as well and I can see it already it's going to get me to 200,000+ and lots of happy memmories.

Chris
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
I've gotta say the 3rz fe motor is the best motor i've ever owned.. 240,000 miles, doesn't burn a drop of oil, has as much power as the day i bought it, it's quiet and efficient.. 150 hp pre 05, 167hp I think in the 05'..
I still see 23 mpg on the highway if i run at 70 mph.. I have a TJM T17 up front too so it's not exactly a low drag coefficient vehicle. And personally I like not having to worry about a timing belt!! :2cents: :D
 

·
Cracker
Joined
·
5,648 Posts
ZICK said:
I've gotta say the 3rz fe motor is the best motor i've ever owned.. 240,000 miles, doesn't burn a drop of oil, has as much power as the day i bought it, it's quiet and efficient.. 150 hp pre 05, 167hp I think in the 05'..
I still see 23 mpg on the highway if i run at 70 mph.. I have a TJM T17 up front too so it's not exactly a low drag coefficient vehicle. And personally I like not having to worry about a timing belt!! :2cents: :D
http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum/showpost.php?p=353880&postcount=6
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,613 Posts
No complaints with mine. I usually just shift up when I'm hitting about 5 rpms and keep it in overdrive when not on the street
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
351 Posts
12Tweeter12 said:
No complaints with mine. I usually just shift up when I'm hitting about 5 rpms and keep it in overdrive when not on the street
You mean you keep it OUT of overdrive when not on the street, right?
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top