TTORA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a noob question but someone told me it is bad to drive in 4 Low for more than a few munites is this true?

·
Registered
717 Posts
no, i drive in 4 low as long as i need to. you just dont go fast.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok thanks, I know you cant go fast, I was just wondering because today I was out on some trails and you know when 4 High is just too fast, you need to be going slower and keeping the RPM's up I used 4 Low and was in it a while, just wanted to make sure nothing would get damaged. The guy who told me it was bad had a ford and never went offroad at all. Thanks for the response!

·
Registered
414 Posts
Since this question will probably answered pretty quickly, let me ask another one.

Would there be any benefit to a "low" setting on a strictly AWD vehicle (like a RAV 4 for example)? Also, I know the difference between 4wd and AWD, but I don't really understand what happens that changes the gears to the "Low" gear. Would it even be possible to have AWD "low" without a locking differential?

·
Registered
532 Posts
NorCalTRD said:
no, i drive in 4 low as long as i need to. you just dont go fast.
X2. part time 4wd is not recommended for street use and 4lo is not recommended for speeds above 35mph. but there are no time limits. check your toyota owner's manual.

·
---------------
3,569 Posts
No you can drive in 4 Low as long as necessar - NorCalTRD said, just don't go fast. Of course, this is only the case when you are OFF pavement. ON pavement you should not use 4 Hi or 4 Low.

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
4xClover said:
No you can drive in 4 Low as long as necessar - NorCalTRD said, just don't go fast. Of course, this is only the case when you are OFF pavement. ON pavement you should not use 4 Hi or 4 Low.
I usually run 4HI in the rain on pavement... How about that?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yea I use low when high is just too fast, plus its like downhill controll cause most of the time I find myself on the gas downhill instead of the breaks which is good, i think :dunno:

·
Retired
4,641 Posts
stu said:
Since this question will probably answered pretty quickly, let me ask another one.

Would there be any benefit to a "low" setting on a strictly AWD vehicle (like a RAV 4 for example)? Also, I know the difference between 4wd and AWD, but I don't really understand what happens that changes the gears to the "Low" gear. Would it even be possible to have AWD "low" without a locking differential?
It has nothing to do with the differentials. It's a matter of transfer case design. Most AWD cars and SUVs utilize single-speed transfer cases for weight savings and because a low-range is not needed by most consumers.

The transfer case on an AWD or full-time 4WD uses some sort of device that allows speed differences from front axle to rear axle. A standard two-speed transfer case locks the front and rear driveshafts together.

Read: http://auto.howstuffworks.com/four-wheel-drive.htm

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Usually in 4 Low, you can start out in 2nd gear and just leave it there unless you really get going, or have a really big hill to climb. Thats one thing that amazes people about the Tacomas is that the way they are geared. You can just putt around in 4 low in 2nd gear all day long and go through anything. :D

·
Registered
414 Posts
AK98Taco said:
It has nothing to do with the differentials. It's a matter of transfer case design. Most AWD cars and SUVs utilize single-speed transfer cases for weight savings and because a low-range is not needed by most consumers.

The transfer case on an AWD or full-time 4WD uses some sort of device that allows speed differences from front axle to rear axle. A standard two-speed transfer case locks the front and rear driveshafts together.

Read: http://auto.howstuffworks.com/four-wheel-drive.htm

I've already read that whole page, and like I said, understand the differences between the two. Let me rephrase my question.

In the opinion of members here, would there ever be a benefit to having an AWD "low" setting in a vehicle. I'm thinking that there would NOT be much benefit because the way AWD works is the same as having three open differentials (kind of) and if you were in a situation where you needed a "low" gear, you'd probably be better off with a locking center in the first place.

I have very limited wheeling experience, so I am having a difficult time imagining a situation where you'd be in "low" and it would be beneficial to have the front tires turning at a different rate than the rear tires.

Any input on this? I'm just curious. Since I don't have another truck yet, it gives me plenty of time to ponder useless situations like this.

·
Retired
4,641 Posts
stu said:
Any input on this? I'm just curious.
I would categorize having locking differentials as being far different from a low-range, regardless of vehicle.

The low range would allow more torque to the wheels at a lower speed, but I don't think it increases the vehicle's ability to advance itself forward like having all of the wheels being driven.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Ebruddah said:
I usually run 4HI in the rain on pavement... How about that?

I'm going to assume you're joking about that claim.

If you really do do this.. you'd better stop, because it's really bad for the truck and there is no need whatsoever to do this unless you were climbing a really steep hill which had tons(and I mean TONS) of water gushing down it towards your truck.

·
Registered
458 Posts
stu said:
I've already read that whole page, and like I said, understand the differences between the two. Let me rephrase my question.

In the opinion of members here, would there ever be a benefit to having an AWD "low" setting in a vehicle. I'm thinking that there would NOT be much benefit because the way AWD works is the same as having three open differentials (kind of) and if you were in a situation where you needed a "low" gear, you'd probably be better off with a locking center in the first place.

I have very limited wheeling experience, so I am having a difficult time imagining a situation where you'd be in "low" and it would be beneficial to have the front tires turning at a different rate than the rear tires.

Any input on this? I'm just curious. Since I don't have another truck yet, it gives me plenty of time to ponder useless situations like this.

While it's possible that the front tires are turning at a different rate than the rears...that is a function of traction, not a lower range gear set. Whenever you are steering the front tires are always going faster than the rear...especially the outer front tire vs. the inner rear tire...that's what the 'center' differential does (in concert with the front and rear)

There are instances where traction is good and either you are climbing something steep or going down something steep (and in a 'car' it doesn't take much angle and you've run out of power)...or even driving through deep snow (as long as you have traction) sometimes it takes more power than 1st gear offers.... and the lower gears of a low range give you the power to climb or the control to descent.... Older Subaru's have a low range gear in them and people hang on to them for that reason. So yes, there is a use for lower range in AWD vehicles.. applies to a very limited market of folks, even Subaru dropped it...

Good luck!

·
Registered
414 Posts
I did recently hear someone mention that his Subaru had a low range in it. But the way he described it made me think that it was more between the 'low' range you'd find in a truck, and just the regular gearing.

These were pretty good responses. Thanks everyone.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
About this Discussion
18 Replies
13 Participants
stu
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing