TTORA Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im trying to decide between a 4 and a 6 cylinder x cab tacoma. This will be a daily driver,i live in the mountians, but dont leave town much, i do some offroad trails(rocky mts) and dont plan to haul anything a 4 couldnt handle. my debate is how long a 3.4 v6 would last compared to a 2.7 4 as far as milage goes. ive seen many toyota 4s with 300,000 and still strong, but what about the 6? whats the highest milage 3.4 v6 anyone has seen? thanks in advance to any and all posts. :confused:

·
Registered
422 Posts
footheter said:
im trying to decide between a 4 and a 6 cylinder x cab tacoma. This will be a daily driver,i live in the mountians, but dont leave town much, i do some offroad trails(rocky mts) and dont plan to haul anything a 4 couldnt handle. my debate is how long a 3.4 v6 would last compared to a 2.7 4 as far as milage goes. ive seen many toyota 4s with 300,000 and still strong, but what about the 6? whats the highest milage 3.4 v6 anyone has seen? thanks in advance to any and all posts. :confused:
http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60300

·
Registered
324 Posts
its a hard one to say, both great motors, for what your needs seem to be, the slightly more economical 4 cyl might be a good choice, on the other hand if you think you might want more power (supercharger etc.) down the road go 6cyl,

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i think i am getting a 4. less $ initially also. Could u supercharge a 2.7 4?

·
Registered
324 Posts
2.7 is a great motor has as much hp as the old 3.0 v6, and damn close to as reliable as a 22re

·
Registered
104 Posts
A lot of people seem to compare the v6 auto to the 4 cyl 5 speed. I have the worst.... 4 cylinder auto and hate how gutless it is. I recommend test driving both to see. I do love the 4 cylinders. Less money on maintainence and easier to work on in my opinion.

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Get the 6 and never look back.

This can be debated over and over again but the bottom line is that the 6 will do ANYTHING that the 4 will do but not the other way around.

·
Registered
270 Posts
i have the 2.7, and i love it, it's pretty peppy for a 4 banger it puts out about 150 hp and just shy of 180lbs of torque and it gets 22 mpg, i've used it to pull out a four door tahoe (approx. 6000 lbs) no problem, not to mention its been more reliable than my 22re, so i say go with the four, but if you get a 6 its still good, its a toyota, thats what counts

·
The Satanic Panic
609 Posts
if your trying to get more power out of the 2.7 dont bother, go with the v6, ive seen them go over 200,000, IMO theyre easier to work on as well

·
Registered
249 Posts
drive both. if that doesnt work then you decide what you are going to want because if you are going to want a greater amount of power the 4 isn't going to cut it. I have the 4 and its hard to get extra ponies out of it but it serves me perfect and is way easy to maintain and work on.

·
Registered
91 Posts
My :2cents: go with the 6. I have the 6 and my roommate has the 4 we get just about the same gas milage but anytime we use my truck he whines about how much more power the 6 has and he can't believe we get the same gas mileage.
However, in the 4 defense my roomate currently has 220K on it and has never done anything but a tuneup and basic maintenance. I had the timing belt changed at the Stealership and boy did it hurt the wallet. I've also had a PS pump failure. I'm coming up on another timing belt but I don't think I have the tools to do it so I'm saving for another run at the Stealership. This is the only downside to the 6 that I know of.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts