TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 96 taco V6 extended cab, 5spd, duals, dana 60's, 39.5 Irocs, winch, exo cage, etc. The front suspension is home built SAS with leafs. I cannot keep leafs in it. I have ruined a set of all pro 4 inchers, and am on my 2nd set of Alcans. My truck weights 5400lbs with me, 2 dogs, and tools. The springs turn into a W and end up on the bump stop. I am remodeling my house this summer and can't afford my dream of coilovers and a 3 link yet. I know I am not the only heavy taco out here and wonder what sort of life you guys are getting out of the 44044's or any other spring? I also am aware that I get a lot of axle wrap and need to address that. I more than willing to give up a little suspension travel to keep a set of springs in the truck.
Thanks
Jake
The pics don't show the suspension well, but give you an idea of what I drive.

·
Premium Member
3,388 Posts
My 44044's have lasted like 2 years or so. I'm running them with a leaf taken out too. I doubt my truck weighs 5400 loaded though, that's really heavy! Plus 40" tires don't help ya :D Quick and dirty solution is to build traction bars front and rear.

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
I have a 96 taco V6 extended cab, 5spd, duals, dana 60's, 39.5 Irocs, winch, exo cage, etc. The front suspension is home built SAS with leafs. I cannot keep leafs in it. I have ruined a set of all pro 4 inchers, and am on my 2nd set of Alcans. My truck weights 5400lbs with me, 2 dogs, and tools. The springs turn into a W and end up on the bump stop. I am remodeling my house this summer and can't afford my dream of coilovers and a 3 link yet. I know I am not the only heavy taco out here and wonder what sort of life you guys are getting out of the 44044's or any other spring? I also am aware that I get a lot of axle wrap and need to address that. I more than willing to give up a little suspension travel to keep a set of springs in the truck.
Thanks
Jake
If your springs are going past flat... that is your problem. Heavy rig+into negative arch will destroy springs fast.

·
Registered
230 Posts
well im not so experienced in the sas but from a guess how is your shackle angle? (since you mentioned home built) in my head if your axle is still goin up once the shackle bottoms out, and the spring is still in postive arch, the spring has no other option but to bend... just my 2 cents i guess its worth a double check

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replys. I am definitely going to build a front traction bar with the next set of springs. The shackle angle is pretty good. I did the sas in 2003 and have messed with that a lot. The shackle is not bottoming out. I also have my bump stops set pretty low since I put the 39.5 Irocs on. I need to do some more fire wall mods and extended my bump stops in the mean time. Thanks again for the replys.
Jake

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
My old 44044's lasted 5+ years, they are still on the truck. On my new truck... I ran all pro's, they lasted one offroad trip, threw them in the trash, bought 44044's, and now Im happy again.

Yogi

Thanks
Jake

·
Registered
294 Posts
I vote for the 44044's. Had mine for 2 years and no complaints.

·
Registered
757 Posts
My 44044's seem to be junk too. I dont know what my total weight is exactly, about 180lbs of gear, ARB bumper, winch, sliders, ect. I think its just cheap steel. They loose their arch way to fast. I dont think I'm doing anything with my rig that other SAS's arent either :confused: . I just had a set custom built by Deaver but havent had a chance to go break em in yet. But I at least know that Deaver stands behind their junk so if I'm not happy with them they'll do something about it.

·
Registered
427 Posts
i asked this in the newbie section but i researched a bit and found that the 44044 is 84-89 2.5" lift spring. how much lift are you guys getting over stock.

also there is a set of leafs from sky jacker again 84-89 waggy leafs that claim 4" over the stock waggy does anyone have any experience with this pack?

·
Registered
760 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
i asked this in the newbie section but i researched a bit and found that the 44044 is 84-89 2.5" lift spring. how much lift are you guys getting over stock.

also there is a set of leafs from sky jacker again 84-89 waggy leafs that claim 4" over the stock waggy does anyone have any experience with this pack?
i tried putting a set of skyjackers on my taco instead of my 44044's i already had in there... they were suppose to be a 4" spring but layed flat and lower than my 44044's so i switched back to the rancho's and returned the skyjackers...

·
Registered
294 Posts
All the ranchos that I have owned skaweeeeeeeeeeeeeek!

Yogi
The more wheeling the more the squeek with some leafs. If it is bad and a daily driver hit them with some wd-40. I did that with the rear leafs when my truck was stock and hit the dirt/mud on my 98 and had a 95.5 and the rears really sqweeeeekkkeeeed. I know the wd is an easy way out but keeps em quiet.

·
Registered
427 Posts
k thanks

·
Registered
63 Posts
Im running the Alcan Springs based off of a 44044 and have no problem with them at all. Ive had them for 2 years and have negative arch mainly on the back. Im running 39.5 boggers but im still not close to ur kinda weight, that might be the difference.

·
Registered
18 Posts
A Waggy is spring under. That 2.5" makes for about 4-5" spring over on a Toy depending on the set up. Mine ran a bit over 5" new, have settled about an inch in three years and are on a rig that weighs pretty close to yours (edit...no...I'm still about 500# lighter). I have one that's looking kinda borked, but I think that has more to do with running it for a few hundred miles without a shock on one side.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts