TTORA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
im about to get a toytec spacer setup and was wondering if my shocks are still good at 47,000 miles, i just bought the truck used, its a 2002. doesnt look like it was offroaded much. i dont know how long they usually last for.
also, i was a smoother softer ride because i know the spacers will stiffen it up a little.
any suggestions on shocks.
thank as always guys (meaning guys and girls)
-darren

·
Registered
264 Posts
The only way to tell is by driving it. Does it "wallow" on the road over dips and hills? Also with it parked push down on a corner of the truck. If it bounces and doesn't come to rest right away it is time for new shocks.

·
Registered
47 Posts
My guess is that you're shocks are still good. Bils are good high quality shocks unlike other cheaper crappier shocks.
-Chris

·
Registered
255 Posts
ocdp2000 said:
im about to get a toytec spacer setup and was wondering if my shocks are still good at 47,000 miles, i just bought the truck used, its a 2002. doesnt look like it was offroaded much. i dont know how long they usually last for.
also, i was a smoother softer ride because i know the spacers will stiffen it up a little.
-darren
Not that it directly applies but my 2002 w/ 35,000 still rides pretty well. The shocks have held up real well. The front coils have sagged a bit though. May want to check those out and replace them with the non-TRD V6 coils while you're in there.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
ocdp2000 said:
-darren
Are they OEM or aftermarket Bilsteins? Like flat mentioned you can do some simple things to figure out if they're pooped or not.

Another thing to take into consideration is that when you're installing your spacers and have your coil over torn apart is a perfect time to replace/upgrade etc...

·
Registered
161 Posts
I'll be the exception to the rule:

Once I got the factory Bilsteins off the rear of the truck I discovered one of them was completely blown. When compressing it by hand it would work for a few inches then it just moved with no resistance what so ever because it was moving air around instead of oil.. :eek:

Might have just been bad luck, who knows. That was at 44,000 miles.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have over 105K on my Bilsteins and I think I am nearing the end of their life. It doesn't corner like it used to. (not that it really did) But my wifes 03 TRD Double Cab 4x4 handles A LOT nicer. She just spotted an ext cab Tacoma that was lifted. It has Fabtech springs and shocks from what I could tell, coil over setup. So maybe something to consider for you if you are going to change them out? I am still very very green to the 4x4 scene.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts