TTORA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Iam a complete newbie to the world of offroading. my taco 2003 is stock 4x4 4cyl. 2.7L engine. and was wondering a couple of question primarily how much lift i can give it. i want the maximum lift i can get without losing too much on on road driving. i commute alot to school by using a freeway and this is my everyday vehicle.

i also want a solid lift so am opting for new 8 or 10-Deaver leaf Springs, BILSTEIN 5100 rearshocks .and 2.5" lift front coil-over shocks, and i might add a differntial drop as well. i do not want no spacers or BL, or blocks.
however i have not really researched shackles. are they recommended or not?

and finally at what lift height can i add 33's to the tacoma and will the 4cyl. be able to handle the size tires and overall lift.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
make sure you know what gear ratio you have in your axles (talking about the ring & pinion) before going to larger tires.

You will lose power and fuel economy by running larger tires without changing/upgraded the gears in your axles.

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,586 Posts
i also want a solid lift so am opting for new 8 or 10-Deaver leaf Springs, BILSTEIN 5100 rearshocks .and 2.5" lift front coil-over shocks, and i might add a differntial drop as well. i do not want no spacers or BL, or blocks.

and finally at what lift height can i add 33's to the tacoma and will the 4cyl. be able to handle the size tires and overall lift.
To fit 33's, your gonna need more then the 2.5" from the coilovers. You need at least 5" or so of lift over stock to fit those 33's. Either a combination of the coilovers and a body lift. Or if you dont like body lifts, then you need a drop bracket kit like Fabtech or Tuff Country.

Shackles are a good choice for the rear. 1.5" lift shackles are pretty popular and people usually combine those with new springs that add more lift or install an add-a-leaf in their exisiting leaf packs.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
To fit 33's, your gonna need more then the 2.5" from the coilovers. You need at least 5" or so of lift over stock to fit those 33's. Either a combination of the coilovers and a body lift. Or if you dont like body lifts, then you need a drop bracket kit like Fabtech or Tuff Country.

Shackles are a good choice for the rear. 1.5" lift shackles are pretty popular and people usually combine those with new springs that add more lift or install an add-a-leaf in their exisiting leaf packs.
im lifted 2.5 and run 33's.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanx. for the replies... so if i add a rear differntial drop will that work to add about an inch to the front. or do i need the drop kit bracket to add the necessary lift? and from what i keep reading 5" lift requires some heavy mods to easy tension on cv's... im just kinda new at this and dont want to do a quick lift and have many side problems that will cost money in the long run.

Btw can a 4 cylinder handle a 5" lift

regearing difinitely is an option im willing to take but i read that they're expense even if your remove the diff. yourself and take it to get regeared. so can i hold off on that thought? or is it necessary for the lift?

i know i ask way too many damn questions lol. :D

·
Registered
418 Posts
I have 3 inches of lift 33X10.50s 15x8s and hardly ever scrub nothing a dremel tool couldnt take care of... I'd say get 33x1050s 3 inch lift and either stock wheels or the correct backspacing so you dont scrub if you want a wider tire then you will either need a 1 or 2 inch body lift with the 3 inch susp. to run 12.50but some ppl do it with 3 inch lift just dont know who on here does.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Is the truck ADD? Some have said that a diff drop isn't even required when going over 2" for the ADD 4x4's in the front even though some manufactures recommend it.

·
Registered
444 Posts
be careful going 3" on a 2.7 - especially if you have a regular cab. i blew 2 cv boots with that set up - the last boot lasted less than 1K miles with no off roading on them.

edit: and yes, i tried the diff drop - does not help anything.

·
Premium Member
12,213 Posts
X2. Diff drop doesn't so shit.

Go to your truck, put a jack on the diff. Remove the bolts and lower the diff till the mounts have about a 1.5" gap. Look at your boots. They will be in the same exact spot.

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
Iam a complete newbie to the world of offroading. my taco 2003 is stock 4x4 4cyl. 2.7L engine. and was wondering a couple of question primarily how much lift i can give it. i want the maximum lift i can get without losing too much on on road driving. i commute alot to school by using a freeway and this is my everyday vehicle.

with an '03 you should have 4.30s with a manual or 4.56s with an AT if your truck came from the factory with 265/70/16s. So, you will be "ok" with that gearing for 33s but you'll notice a big drop in power. Regearing won't be mandatory but is highly recommended...4.56s or 4.88s for a 5sp and 4.88s or 5.29s for the AT with 33s. If you tow/haul or have a shell then regearing will be a must.

you can run a 33x10.50/15 with only 2-2.5" of lift and some trimming along with a good alignment by a shop that knows what they are doing...need to "push the front end forward" some to keep the tires off the firewall. on turns with a stuffed tire. 16" equivalent will be a 255/85 but that size is taller than the average 33 and requires more serious trimming (along with a mandatory regear). A writeup is available for this. You might consider a 265/75/16 which is a 32x10.50 and will require very little lift and trimming to run with only minor rubbing...and you won't lose as much power if you don't regear ;) You will lose gas mileage whatever you do so consider that factor.

To maintain the optimum road manners keep the lift to a bare minimum and do some trimming rather than jacking the thing way up just to clear tires.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hey thanks guys. i found out way more than i ever thought i knew :)

from everyone's recommendation i guess ill go 33x10's and a no on the differential drop... n get the suspension kit above, with shackles... and the regearing sometime later. haha my dad's trying to get a car for my sister, because she totalled her mustang, ill tell him to get a tacoma with a V6. then when no ones is looking swap the engine out. :saw: ( in the long run though, i want to get a SAS towards the front and a V6 engine in it). i mine as well just get a new taco but i kinda like mine, all stock and everything. she's been good to me.

i can't wait to post up some pics... :cool:

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
hey thanks guys. i found out way more than i ever thought i knew :)

from everyone's recommendation i guess ill go 33x10's and a no on the differential drop... n get the suspension kit above, with shackles... and the regearing sometime later. haha my dad's trying to get a car for my sister, because she totalled her mustang, ill tell him to get a tacoma with a V6. then when no ones is looking swap the engine out. :saw: ( in the long run though, i want to get a SAS towards the front and a V6 engine in it). i mine as well just get a new taco but i kinda like mine, all stock and everything. she's been good to me.

i can't wait to post up some pics... :cool:
in all honesty, if you are planning on doing a SAS then don't even bother with the 2.7; get a v6 now. Even with gears the motor just doesn't have enough power to pull the big tires and extra unsprung weight...unless you SC it ;)
For a dedicated trail rig with a crawler the motor is fine but for a DD or part-time wheeling rig it just doesn't make sense. Gas mileage drops to what a 6 gives you and power is nearly non-existent on hills or when hauling weight.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
lol, thats what i meant to do. lol get the v6 upgrade and then the sas. (i explain things very horrible) :D or just get another tacoma with a v6 and change out all the suspension parts on my car to that one. that's probably a better idea.

·
Registered
26 Posts
lol, thats what i meant to do. lol get the v6 upgrade and then the sas. (i explain things very horrible) :D or just get another tacoma with a v6 and change out all the suspension parts on my car to that one. that's probably a better idea.
I have a 3 inch body lift and 33x12.50's and no scrubbing anywhere. My wheels do have backspacing,i'm not sure how much. I have a 2.7 also.With this combo you need gears to get stock power and mileage. I'm putting on 4.56 gears asap.

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
I have a 3 inch body lift and 33x12.50's and no scrubbing anywhere. My wheels do have backspacing,i'm not sure how much. I have a 2.7 also.With this combo you need gears to get stock power and mileage. I'm putting on 4.56 gears asap.
go with 4.88s...you'll thank us later ;)

·
Registered
682 Posts
Ballpark: Take the cost of new gears (front and rear) plus an install kit (again, front and rear) and then double it.

·
Premium Member
12,213 Posts
Ballpark: Take the cost of new gears (front and rear) plus an install kit (again, front and rear) and then double it.
Or just pick up the phone and call around...

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
about how much would the regearing cost... average price.
figure around $600 for gears and install kits f/r
labor will run from $300-1500 depending on your location, how much competition local gear shops have and whether you can pull/reinstall the rear 3rd and front diff yourself.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.