TTORA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was thinking of getting Bilsteins(HD Aftermarket ones) for front and rear with new stock V6 coils for the front..Was wondering if anyone has this setup on their ride if so,How does it ride and about how much lift did you get in the front?

Just curious to know before i go and spend $400 for all the stuff..I'm not looking for any lift,trying to get a little better ride..i got 62k on all bone stock suspension now,and i can feel every bump in the road. :eek:

·
Registered
947 Posts
I had almost 90K on the stock shocks, I just changed to the Bil HD shocks front and rear. Of course they feel better than stock. I do not have the v-6 coils, but just wanted to say the shocks are very good on and offroad. A little stiff in the rear, but my springs are shitty, and there is no weight in the rear of the Taco's. The big toolbox loaded down with recovery equip, jacks, tools, and whatnot helps some.

·
Registered
444 Posts
tacoma2k said:
Was thinking of getting Bilsteins(HD Aftermarket ones) for front and rear with new stock V6 coils for the front..Was wondering if anyone has this setup on their ride if so,How does it ride and about how much lift did you get in the front?

Just curious to know before i go and spend $400 for all the stuff..I'm not looking for any lift,trying to get a little better ride..i got 62k on all bone stock suspension now,and i can feel every bump in the road. :eek:
i'm just curious... why OEM V6 coils? have you considered a pair of OME 880's? can't say i've tried either of them... i was just curious.

·
Registered
947 Posts
ainokea said:
i'm just curious... why OEM V6 coils? have you considered a pair of OME 880's? can't say i've tried either of them... i was just curious.
I think if your adding a heavy bumper, and want to keep the stock height, but not get lift, these will work good. I think OME makes a spring much like this. I think its the 880 maybe..

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
tacoma2k said:

v6 excab coils should give you about 1" of lift depending on condition.
but, expect the ride to be worse since those coils are heavier than what you have now and going to the Bils will stiffen things up as well. But, ride and handling will be better than OE, believe it or not ;)

you can get a lot better ride going with a full OME kit f/r (they have 'comfort' shocks f/r) but that will give you around 2" of lift with 881s so not really what you are looking for.
you can get 880s and N91SC shocks up front for about .5" of lift but the problem will be the rear. I don't know anyone who makes lighter shocks in the OE 6" travel length so ride would still be kinda stiff. The HD Bils are 255/70 and you really want the 170/60 valving to compliment the OME SCs.
OME has the lighter valved rear shocks but they are for their 2" lift leafpks.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your replies..Reason i was thinking of the v6 stock coils was maybe later on adding a heavier front bumper..

who sells the OME coils?i looked but can't seem to find anyone who sells them..

·
Registered
947 Posts
tacoma2k said:
Thanks for your replies..Reason i was thinking of the v6 stock coils was maybe later on adding a heavier front bumper..

Just clink on the sponsors page. T.O.P., trdparts4u, wheelers all carry them. Just figure out which one you want to buy from.

here is the link to the page: http://ttora.com/sub.php?p=sponsors

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
tacoma2k said:

no stock coil will handle a heavier bumper...and neither will the OME coils ;)

650# coils seem to be the minimum and for that you have to step up to adjustable coilovers like SAW, Donahoe, etc.

·
Registered
947 Posts
hytenor said:
no stock coil will handle a heavier bumper...and neither will the OME coils ;)

650# coils seem to be the minimum and for that you have to step up to adjustable coilovers like SAW, Donahoe, etc.
So if you get the 881, will it sag down below stock height with something like an ARB and winch? If not, then why would that not be a good route to take if not wanting lift? I know if you keep the stock coils on there, they will drop a ton. It seems like this would be an option.

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
jhunter said:
So if you get the 881, will it sag down below stock height with something like an ARB and winch? If not, then why would that not be a good route to take if not wanting lift? I know if you keep the stock coils on there, they will drop a ton. It seems like this would be an option.
the problem isn't so much the amount they will sag...it's how easily the truck will bottom out. Mine got so bad I had to slow down to near nothing just to go over little bumps and dips...drove me nuts. The lighter coils just cannot handle the weight, period.

·
Registered
947 Posts
hytenor said:
the problem isn't so much the amount they will sag...it's how easily the truck will bottom out. Mine got so bad I had to slow down to near nothing just to go over little bumps and dips...drove me nuts. The lighter coils just cannot handle the weight, period.

Got it. Now I see why you always offer input on the issue... I hate IFS, but I dont have the 5400 for just the axle for the SAC yet (I seen that post this afternoon, that shit adds up quicker than most expect). I will be going back to the 84-85's.

You already talked me into the coilovers, but I am still trying to figure out the advantages/disadvantages of all options.

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
jhunter said:
Got it. Now I see why you always offer input on the issue... I hate IFS, but I dont have the 5400 for just the axle for the SAC yet (I seen that post this afternoon, that shit adds up quicker than most expect). I will be going back to the 84-85's.

You already talked me into the coilovers, but I am still trying to figure out the advantages/disadvantages of all options.
the less expensive SAW 2.0s with 675#, 15" coils do great with the heavy bumpers and you can adjust the lift to whatever you want up to around 3".
the less lift you crank in the more articulation you'll get...another nice thing about the adjustables...crank them up until you can still stuff a front tire and tag the bump stops (with sway bar discoed)
the more expensive 2.5s form all mfgs are nice but not really necessary unless you do mostly hi-speed desert wheeling or go really fast on bumpy roads all the time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts