TTORA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just got a '03 v8 4runner, when i was on my test drive before i bought vehicle, i checked the 4x4 and 4lo and it went right in(button on dash) and came out no problem. well i took it out today a little and see how capable it is, well it would'nt go into 4lo, tried all kinds of differrent stuff, finally found if i left the switch in 4lo position and turned the key off (vehicle stopped) then turned it back to run position, engine off, the transfercase would engage into 4lo and worked in 4 lo the whole time. then when switching back to 4hi (normal drive mode) i had to do the same thing. any ideas?:confused:

·
Deal Master
2,775 Posts
I have a manual J- shift transfer case-
and was recently using the push button 4wd system in a buddy's Tundra-
Took me a while (had to read the visor)-

But did you put it into 4Hi >> Neutral >> 4Lo >> move forward?

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
this 4 runner is full time 4x4 or all wheel drive, it has a button for 4hi to 4lo, no neutral position, it also has a button on left side of dash that locks up transfercase, like a regular truck wich also disengages the vsc. i was actually pretty impressed where i did go in this thing in 4lo with the vsc engaged. kinda like a locker in front and rear but not quite. ive taken my trd taco w/ rear locker on same trail and had about as much problem getting over one rock stair step.

·
Deal Master
2,775 Posts
sorry,I was referring to transmission neutral
4Hi >> Neutral (transmission) >> 4Lo >> Drive>>move forward?

Are you shifting into 4lo from Park, drive or neutral -

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
I thought you were supposed to put the tranny in "N" to get it to go into 4lo? i think that is what grillmasterp is saying.

·
Registered
871 Posts
4lo

The 03 4runner is completely different than the j style 4wd system. The all wheel drive is what you are describing. The transfer case is actually a center differential with a viscous coupling and a locker. You might have to lock the center diff, before you can engauge low gearing. Other than that, it should shift right in. If there is a problem with the center diff, it has to be replaced as a unit, I don't think toyota offers replacement parts. I think is called a "torsion" center differential, or something like that.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
The 03 4runner is completely different than the j style 4wd system. The all wheel drive is what you are describing. The transfer case is actually a center differential with a viscous coupling and a locker. You might have to lock the center diff, before you can engauge low gearing. Other than that, it should shift right in. If there is a problem with the center diff, it has to be replaced as a unit, I don't think toyota offers replacement parts. I think is called a "torsion" center differential, or something like that.
On the v6 4runner you do not have to lock the center diff to go to low range. You can run AWD lo. Pretty sure its the same on the v8, I have played with my moms and recall its the same as mine, minus 2wd.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Well, do you at least have to put the trans in neutral for 4 lo to work? If it doesn't work, I would take it back to the dealer quick, that center diff isn't cheap!

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i am taking it back this week but im sure they will denie everything since i already lifted it, put on 33's and sliders

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Well, do you at least have to put the trans in neutral for 4 lo to work? If it doesn't work, I would take it back to the dealer quick, that center diff isn't cheap!
Yeah, stop trans to neutral, selector to 4lo.

i am taking it back this week but im sure they will denie everything since i already lifted it, put on 33's and sliders
Good call, but they will have to PROVE that the 33's and lift caused the diff to go out. I have a buddy with an 05 taco that is doing the same thing.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I have 32's on mine and the Tcase works fine. Mine is an 05 v8, and shifts right away when you turn the knob. As long as your in Neutral, and completly stoped. If you are moving at all it will not shift in to low. You dont need teh center diff locked either. You can run AWD low if you wanted to.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts