TTORA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am posting this here cuz it has serious flaming potential...

What year 4runner had Solid front axle.

Is the first gen a good choice for a capable trail rig?

I don't have the balls to beat my DD. I want to get something going that I can have fun without worrying. I am thinking...

first gen 4runner, with solid front axle (if that is the right gen...)
33 or 35's
protection
winch
lockers

i can add from there....

any input appreciated...

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
Yeah 1st gen in the 84 and 85 years have the Solid front axle. Make sure you get the EFI thou. Yes that year 4runner will make an excellent trail rig. The only problem is everybody and their brother wants those 2 years of runner. So expect to pay a little to get one that is in good shape, and they are at times pretty hard to find for sale. But good luck I hope you can find one. Or try and find the same years in and xcab truck.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
98taco4x said:
Yeah 1st gen in the 84 and 85 years have the Solid front axle. Make sure you get the EFI thou. Yes that year 4runner will make an excellent trail rig. The only problem is everybody and their brother wants those 2 years of runner. So expect to pay a little to get one that is in good shape, and they are at times pretty hard to find for sale. But good luck I hope you can find one. Or try and find the same years in and xcab truck.
I just started looking and found,

1985 Black with grey int., auto., 4x4, 4WD, good winter beater or good for parts. Perfect for a farm. Needs body work. $800. obo

Obviously this may be a heap, or the guy just thinks it is garbage... also, its 800 canadian...

My debate is whether I try to get something that I can keep road worthy, or just find something to tow to where ever I wheel...

What kind of a battle would it be to tow a 4runner with my taco?

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
I had a thread in the forsale about a month or so ago...........I can't link it because I am at work and have no addy bar..........if you want to look it up ok or I can get it to you later today or tomorrow when I get home.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Full_Tilt_Fud said:
I had a thread in the forsale about a month or so ago...........I can't link it because I am at work and have no addy bar..........if you want to look it up ok or I can get it to you later today or tomorrow when I get home.
the pics on your thread don't come up

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
IMHO, get a truck instead of a 4Runner. The top just adds weight and (expensive!) glass.

'85 is the sweetspot year as both fuel injection and solid axle were available.

Swapping these earlier trucks to a SFA is pretty easy too.

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Ok............the pics were from a friends photobucket account............he probly erased them...........i have some at home I will send you

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
RedRunnertc said:
IMHO, get a truck instead of a 4Runner. The top just adds weight and (expensive!) glass.
BOOOOO! :D I love my 4runner, I have extra seats, plenty of room to sleep if I so choose, and I love riding around with the top off. The glass isn't overly expensive as you can frequently find it in junkyards or off of parts trucks.

'85 is the sweetspot year as both fuel injection and solid axle were available.

Swapping these earlier trucks to a SFA is pretty easy too.
True and true. If you plan to build the '85, other than some additional cutting, it is basically the same as swapping a 1st gen IFS rig.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
nruller said:
I just started looking and found,

1985 Black with grey int., auto., 4x4, 4WD, good winter beater or good for parts. Perfect for a farm. Needs body work. $800. obo

Obviously this may be a heap, or the guy just thinks it is garbage... also, its 800 canadian...
So I looked into this truck.....

It is actually an '86, and has a '92 engine....

not exactly what I had in mind after reading his ad...

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
yeah 86 will be ifs. and I would watch out for northern trucks because of the rust. I would inspect the frames really well, maybe take a small hammer and peck around on the frame to try and find holes.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts