TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally made the decision of not selling the 1st gen and am now running with the body swap idea. I will be reusing my frame and powertrain. This is what I'm starting with the 1986 sr5.
[/IMG]
This is what I'm picking up this weekend a 1992 sr5 with title minus motor, trans, x-case, front end.
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
Its a start. I will need a few parts to get it back together but I will also be parting mine out or selling whole with title. I will be looking for a grille, back window, left rear tail light, passenger front door panel complete in grey, carpet in grey and front seats. I will be taking plenty of notes and pictures as I go through this swap. Time to start :saw:.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Right on man! Id love to have 4door... If youre partin the old body let me know, I crunched my tailgate and could use a new one.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Bone yards have alot of parts from the clunker progra. I know riteway auto parts has three bodies one is white.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bone yards have alot of parts from the clunker progra. I know riteway auto parts has three bodies one is white.
Cool. I'm a junk yard junky. I love those places and have a few 4runners allready staked out. It just never hurts to look everywhere.

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
I have a tailgate with window regulators/motors, with 2 factory rear tire carriers, but no back windows, your gate looks pretty good, just throwing it out there.

be glad you got the 4.3, these things are HEAVY!

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have a tailgate with window regulators/motors, with 2 factory rear tire carriers, but no back windows, your gate looks pretty good, just throwing it out there.

be glad you got the 4.3, these things are HEAVY!
I would be interested in a tire carrier. Are there plates that go in behind the sheet metal? And yes I am stoked on the fact I get to keep my 4.3 It helps a bunch with these runners.

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
There is extra support from the factory in the boddy, but im sure you could add something on both sides to beef it up a little. mine held a 37" tire for many years of daily driving with no problems. i have a stock one and one thats modified, i rased the tire mount and raised the plate mount. let me know if you wanna come check them out.
35th ave and 101 area
623-221-9359
Rick

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So in 86 the 4runner speedo was cable driven. In 92 the speedo is electric. I got lucky at the junk yard with a 90 2nd gen with a cable drive gauge cluster.
[/IMG]
Since I had no cable to run the speedo I got that as well. I hade to cut into the body near the emergency brake cable and drill two holes for the factory boot. I used the brake cable to help with the layout as they are combined.
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
I also put the 2nd gen gas tank with the fuel filler inlet in the rear corner verses the 1st gen with the filler in the middle of the tank.
[/IMG]
The 2nd gen skid does fit well with very little fab. I will be doing the first fit up of the body tomorrow:saw::welder:.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
About this Discussion
50 Replies
15 Participants
Lethaljeep
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing