TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally made the decision of not selling the 1st gen and am now running with the body swap idea. I will be reusing my frame and powertrain. This is what I'm starting with the 1986 sr5.
[/IMG]
This is what I'm picking up this weekend a 1992 sr5 with title minus motor, trans, x-case, front end.
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
Its a start. I will need a few parts to get it back together but I will also be parting mine out or selling whole with title. I will be looking for a grille, back window, left rear tail light, passenger front door panel complete in grey, carpet in grey and front seats. I will be taking plenty of notes and pictures as I go through this swap. Time to start :saw:.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Right on man! Id love to have 4door... If youre partin the old body let me know, I crunched my tailgate and could use a new one.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Bone yards have alot of parts from the clunker progra. I know riteway auto parts has three bodies one is white.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bone yards have alot of parts from the clunker progra. I know riteway auto parts has three bodies one is white.
Cool. I'm a junk yard junky. I love those places and have a few 4runners allready staked out. It just never hurts to look everywhere.

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
I have a tailgate with window regulators/motors, with 2 factory rear tire carriers, but no back windows, your gate looks pretty good, just throwing it out there.

be glad you got the 4.3, these things are HEAVY!

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have a tailgate with window regulators/motors, with 2 factory rear tire carriers, but no back windows, your gate looks pretty good, just throwing it out there.

be glad you got the 4.3, these things are HEAVY!
I would be interested in a tire carrier. Are there plates that go in behind the sheet metal? And yes I am stoked on the fact I get to keep my 4.3 It helps a bunch with these runners.

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
There is extra support from the factory in the boddy, but im sure you could add something on both sides to beef it up a little. mine held a 37" tire for many years of daily driving with no problems. i have a stock one and one thats modified, i rased the tire mount and raised the plate mount. let me know if you wanna come check them out.
35th ave and 101 area
623-221-9359
Rick

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Past the point of no return!
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
So far so good. This week will be for cleaning up and repairing my existing frame. Gathering parts for and cleaning up the new body. Next weeking should be the mating of the two. Should be fun.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So in 86 the 4runner speedo was cable driven. In 92 the speedo is electric. I got lucky at the junk yard with a 90 2nd gen with a cable drive gauge cluster.
[/IMG]
Since I had no cable to run the speedo I got that as well. I hade to cut into the body near the emergency brake cable and drill two holes for the factory boot. I used the brake cable to help with the layout as they are combined.
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
I also put the 2nd gen gas tank with the fuel filler inlet in the rear corner verses the 1st gen with the filler in the middle of the tank.
[/IMG]
The 2nd gen skid does fit well with very little fab. I will be doing the first fit up of the body tomorrow:saw::welder:.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts