TTORA Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to plan out the rear build of my 4runner, It is a third gen (96-02), and I plan to pair it with a 13" lt kit up front..my question is should I go with a setup like "chaplains" with a 10" 2.0 bypass outside the frame rails (mounted almost 1:1) or the 2.5 icon rear piggyback which is probably a 8-9" shock with less of a motion ratio (review can be found here http://soaztim.blogspot.com/2010/10/icon-vehicle-dynamics-3rd-gen-4runner.html) which are made specifically made and tuned for the 4runner?? Btw what i have planned for the rear is new heimed links (possibly the TC ones), with and ARB 890 or 891 spring and a 2.0x3 air bump..and a shock.. Nowadays the price of the icons is seriously within a few bucks of a SAW 2.0 2 tube bypass...so it makes it hard to decide. It will be on a DD so I don't plan to beat the shit out of it, but I would be bummed if I spent the same price for the icons just to find I felt they were lacking the ride quality I want compared to the bypasses. And on that not should I throw in the extra hundred bucks per shock to get the three tubes with the extra compression zone? Or would it not be worth it considering it is only a 2.0... The other option I suppose is popping a 12" or 14" dual rate c/o through the floor into the cargo area..I am trying to stay away from this option because of the holes in the back due to noise, exhaust, dust, etc... Unless someone can convince me that the coilover setup would perform significantly better. I have been sitting on this project forever thinking how SICK a mezzi arm or cantilever 4 link would be...but In the long run like I said I want to be able to daily drive it...so im kind re-thinking all that, smiles per miles as they say... I appreciate any feedback/ideas you guys can throw at me

·
Registered
89 Posts
I would go leafs. I did on my 90 4runner and it was great. We are doing a leaf swap on my buddy's FJ soon. In the interim we will be laying the shocks back which is not ideal. After his cage is done they will go up thru the bed. No mezzanine, no cantilever, no coils into the bed. Keep it simple. On my 4runner my travel was limited to the fender well, if i was to do it again I would move the axle back 1-2" so I could clearance the fender well without getting into the back door. We are stretching the FJ 2" for wheelbase. The leafs are also not only bullet proof but maintenance free.
Follow this thread even though he cantilevered the shocks:
http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=184967&highlight=ruin+4runner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts