TTORA Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
The Satanic Panic
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im curious to know if anyone has successfully or thought about taking 4runner leather seats and switched them in a tacoma, cuz mine are tearing apart, and secondly the farts tend to want to sink in the cloth seats
:welder:

99xcb 2.7

·
Registered
264 Posts
tanKoma said:
im curious to know if anyone has successfully or thought about taking 4runner leather seats and switched them in a tacoma, cuz mine are tearing apart, and secondly the farts tend to want to sink in the cloth seats
:welder:

99xcb 2.7
It's been done, but it isn't a straight bolt-in. Believe it or not the floorpans are slightly different. There is a writeup in the tech section over at customtacos that is more or less a summary of all the seat swap threads from over the years. Check it out - it was compiled by member Enola Gaia.

·
The Satanic Panic
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hell im doin it, i looked on ebay and they have 4runners with black leather seats, i leather, A. is easier to clean, B. the fart smell seems to build up and get trapped, C. it looks better

·
Registered
17 Posts
Are the limited Taco seats any good? I know they are leather, but do they have the support that we are looking for? They would have to bolt in perfectly too.

·
Registered
264 Posts
AFTaco said:
Are the limited Taco seats any good? I know they are leather, but do they have the support that we are looking for? They would have to bolt in perfectly too.
The limited Taco seats were not leather, at least not in the 95.5-04 models. Maybe they are in the 05 Tacoma but I wouldn't count on them bolting right into a previous model.

·
Registered
17 Posts
the dealer told me they were and that was why i just decided to go with the sr5 instead. sorry for the mixup and the stupid question

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
flatlandtacoma said:
The limited Taco seats were not leather, at least not in the 95.5-04 models. Maybe they are in the 05 Tacoma but I wouldn't count on them bolting right into a previous model.
They could be ordered with leather. When I bought my 98 Tacoma in late 97 it was a TRD/Limited with factory grey leather interior.

Tim

·
Registered
264 Posts
tbplus10 said:
They could be ordered with leather. When I bought my 98 Tacoma in late 97 it was a TRD/Limited with factory grey leather interior.

Tim
Factory, and not a dealer add-on? Was that in the 98 brochure by any chance? I wonder why they quit offering leather (or why they didn't put it in the brochure.) :confused:

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Lots of factory options are available for new vehicles that people never know about, sometimes their hidden in packages and sometimes they just get overlooked when printing sales brochures. Couldnt tell ya the mindset of Toyota, or any other auto manufacturer.
If you look at the Overseas Military Vehicle Sales Operation (MVSO) Brochure for the 97-00 Tacomas they did offer leather on Tacoma's, but only when ordering the combination of TRD and Limited packages. I know these trucks were built in the U.S. to U.S. spec's and could be delivered in the U.S.. Maybe the option was only offered for trucks sold through the MVSO program, that I dont know. I ordered the truck in Italy for delivery in Norfolk VA.
I know during later dealings on another issue with Toyota concerning this truck the techs were surprised it had leather but confirmed that the interior was factory. It also had leather on the door panels and the rear jump seats.

Tim

·
Registered
264 Posts
tbplus10 said:
techs were surprised it had leather but confirmed that the interior was factory. It also had leather on the door panels and the rear jump seats.

Tim
LOL, I said to myself, if leather was a factory option, then the owner's manual would have a paragraph on cleaning leather. Why there it is, on page 196 of the 1999 owner's manual: :eek:

Leather Interior
The leather upholstery may be cleaned with neutral detergent for wool.
Remove dirt using a soft cloth dampened with 5% solution of neutral detergent for wool. Then thoroughly wipe off all traces of detergent with a clean damp cloth...

·
Registered
264 Posts
AFTaco said:
the dealer told me they were and that was why i just decided to go with the sr5 instead. sorry for the mixup and the stupid question
No reason to be sorry. At least some of the limited factory seats were leather, although not advertised and not very common. I was wrong to say they weren't leather since they could be.

Maybe Tim can tell you whether they were any more comfortable or supportive than the 'standard' fabric limited seats.

·
Registered
984 Posts
The 2004 "Limited" Tacoma seats are basically the regular buckets with 2 add-ons for the driver's side - an electric lumbar support and a manual seat (bottom) cushion tilt adjustment. Frankly, I don't recommend them - in general, the seats are as klunky as any Taco OEM seats, the lumbar doesn't provide any meaningful support, and the seat bottom's relatively short front-to-back length makes the tilt adjustment pretty ineffective.

In a recent thread over at YotaTech, a bunch of us generally agreed the most comfortable seats Toyota ever put in a truck were the SR5 multi-adjustables in the late 1980's and pre-Taco 1990's.

4Runner, Camry, Corolla, and Celica seats are at best a '3 out of 4 hole' direct fit. Some fabbing / tweaking is required to finish off the install.

Whatever you do, remember: The seats are the easy part - it's the install that'll have you tearing your hair out...

·
Registered
984 Posts
A note on leather (since the mid-to-late 1990's). Leather upholstery was also available on certain regional-specific 'packages' or 'editions'. They weren't 'hidden', so long as you happened to live in the market area to which they were targeted. The Southeast Sales Region is a different beast from the others, and has a lot of such regional offerings...

·
Registered
185 Posts
helajames said:
I read an Article on-line, I belive it was from an east coast TTORA Page about power leather Volvo S-40 seats bolting right in, even the seat heaters and pwr functions worked with the power lead that is under the seat!!! I Will see if i can find the artice... hear is the link form TTORA New England

http://ttora-ne.com/newsite/main.htm
James the S40 seats definetly do not bolt right in - there needs do be some welding/fabricating to get them in there.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
flatlandtacoma said:
Maybe Tim can tell you whether they were any more comfortable or supportive than the 'standard' fabric limited seats.
Nope, to tell the truth they looked and felt the same as the cloth in my 99.
Just a little easier to keep clean.

Tim

1 - 18 of 18 Posts