TTORA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay I've rebuilt the Toyota start by replacing the contacts and cleaned them a few times and I still get the same BS problem. Turn the key and all I get is a click! :mad: So Fri I go and buy a new starter (rebuilt from advance), replaced it Fri evening thinking that eveything was going to be good. Sat headed out to "the place we do not speak of" for some wheeling, started fine at the house and at the gas station right by my house. We stopped at a gas station close to "the place we do not speak of" and I go to start the Runner and when I heard the CLICK I was so, mad :explode: So I get out the trusty starter cranking tool (lug wrench), I few easy love taps (right) and I turn the key and the 3.Slow fires up. :confused: :mad: So after the kind short/long drive to go wheeling I decided I'd roll with it and and hope the best and have some fun wheeling and would try not to turn the Runner off unless I had to. Eveything was fine till I stalled the engine while crossing a large log, I prayed and turned the key only to hear the CLICK. :mad: :xsmash: :banghead: I grabed the lug wrench for a few love taps on the starter, trun the key, click, a few more taps, click, a few more, click, a few more only harder, click. I have Drew hook up the strap to pull start the Runner, got it started. We wheel for alittle while longer and all stopped to watch a few Jeep Geeks crawl up alittle rock ledge. I made sure I parked on a hill so if the starter did the CLICK again I could just roll down the hill and pop the clutch, which worked. I didn't turn the Runner off again till I got back to my house. Tried to start it then and CLICK. I sreached the net for this problem and read some post about added a relay, cutting a wire on the stock relay and running a wire from the battery to the relay, and adding push button to start the Runner. So if anyone reads all my venting sorry, here is the main reason for the post. Which of the three things should I try to fix my starting problem?

Thanks

Steven

·
Registered
106 Posts
GM also had this problem along with a lot of others. First of all you are sure you have a good ground to the starter?

I would put a jumper cable from the -batt to the starter body and see if that does anything. If not try the + to the post on the starter. This will rule out any connection problems except for the connection from the main lug on the solenoid to the starter motor windings. If you jump across the two main lugs does the starter motor spin? If so the contact disk is bad in the solenoid. if not the connectoin to the motor winding is bad and should be cleaned.

I had to file mine clean to get it to work.

If all else fails you can use a ford solenoid and wire it to a push button to jump across the solenoid when this happens or get another starter again, but a good onethis time.

Any questions?

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think it's the starter cause I had a Toyota starter and I tested it before I put it in with a battery jump pac and it spun fine, I don't think the new start is the bad either cause its doing the same thing as it did with the old starter. I tried to find the relay that everyone say to cut on wire off of but I can't seem to find it. I'll link up to the site I read it on. Thanks

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/printthread.php?t=287065&pp=50

·
Registered
583 Posts
steven- I'd recomend checking the cables and wiring. I think on our trucks the solenoid is on the starter itself. Have you had the battery load tested yet? bc my dad's 22R had a similar problem... click click and sometimes started... took it to a shop, they said it was the starter... still had the problem. Come to find out the battery was in limbo. and check all the ground cables too.

·
Registered
456 Posts
i second that... had the same problem on the side of the highway so i bought some 4gauge, took it off and apart, and cleaned up the contacts and now i don't have anymore CLICKs. same crappy advanced auto parts starter that the PO put on.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
One other thing to think of that I read when I was having this problem is to check your ignition switch. They get worn out and can cause the same problems. You mentioned this with a push button setup, but there is also a writeup somewhere that has a setup where you can run your ignition switch through a relay which will take all the load off of your ignition switch. Or something like that. I am not good with electronics but I am pretty sure it was something like that. Hope this helps. I know how frustrating these stupid stuborn problems can be.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Its not the starter or starter contacts. I've ruled that out already, I've had the same problem with three starters already. 1st starter was in the Runner when I bought it started clicking the first week I had the Runner, 2nd bought a used 1??,??? mile toyota starter and started doing it a few weeks after putting it in, 3rd new advance rebuilt starter (yes I know they aren't the best starter but a new Toyota starter is $269). The 1st two I changed the contacts in and it'd still do the same thing. AS for battery, I have two Red Tops that I keep rotating in and out every couple of months. I haven't done a load test on them but with a muilt meter they show 13.? volts. The starter gets it grond from the engine/bellhousing so I'm going to check ground wires tomorrow and I'm going to run a true grond to the engine from the neg. battery post.
The only hard part to this is that it only does it when the engine is hot, not just letting it warm up but driving around hot and I'm not going to drive somewhere and hope that it'll start back up. I strongly believe that it's the relay issue that everyone else has. I can't find the relay they are talking about, I've look at every relay on the pass. side fire wall/fender and never are the starter relay. I foung the starter relay that behind the pass. side kick panel, I've unpluged this relay and it wouldn't start but when I jump two wires on it it start. I tried to let it idle for a while to get hot and see if it'd start but it started fine, if it wouldn't have started I was going to jump it. I'll be picking up a relay and a push button switch from Radio Shack, both are cheap and if I don't need them I'm sure they'll come in handy later on. Thanks

Steven

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
bosco said:
One other thing to think of that I read when I was having this problem is to check your ignition switch. They get worn out and can cause the same problems. You mentioned this with a push button setup, but there is also a writeup somewhere that has a setup where you can run your ignition switch through a relay which will take all the load off of your ignition switch. Or something like that. I am not good with electronics but I am pretty sure it was something like that. Hope this helps. I know how frustrating these stupid stuborn problems can be.

The 85 and older Toyota don't have starter relays, the 86 and newer Toyota's have starter relays. That is the main reason alot of the older Toyotas do the push button switch with relay, to take the load off the ignition switch. The new 86+ Toyota's with the start relays seem to still have this problem. I've learned all this today sreaching the net for places to start with my issue. Thanks

Steven

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Thought I would throw it out there. I always forget about all the new dodads the newer yotas have on em already.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay I fixed the problem,

I was going to do the mod that's in the link I posted earlier by cutting the wire and stuff on the relay that's suppose to be on the pass. fender but I couldn't find that relay. I thought I fired the circuit opening relay which cost $83 from Toyota BTW so don't fawk with it if it isn't broken. As it turns out I blow the EFI fuse under the hood while jumping the circuit opening relay. I learned how things work on the Runner while doing all this too. So after that little scare I decided to take a route at the problem. Here is how I did it,

I got a 30a relay, a 30a inline fuse, and a push button starter switch (got the switch when I was going to do the push button mod). I took the coil hot wire (little wire on the starter solenoid) and cut the plug off. I then ran a wire from the plug to the relay power out plug, the other half of the coil hot wire I run to the on/off plug on the relay, then ran the inline fuse from the battery to the power pin on the relay, and grounded the relay. Tested it and it started fine and even start like the start was cranking with a little more power. I could have saved $91 by not buying the starter so I know have a back up starter and a starter with life time exchange.

I secert starter switch mod, :cool:

I had this push button switch and didn't feel like taking it back. So I decided to use it as a emergency starter switch. All I did was cut the wire going from the relay to the starter and put the button in between. I keep the button in the under hood fuse block, there is a little space that's the perfect size for the switch. With the key turned to the run/on position and push the button and the starter cranks over starting the engine. With the key turned off the button will only crank the engine over without any fuel or ignition. This would good if you ever had to find TDC or for any other thing that you'd to crank the over without starting it. More then likely I'll never use it but hey its there if I do.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Iggy said:
when we were out on the trail there were a cupple times where it seemed like it dident wanna start for u
That wasn't because of the starter, I'm still not sure what that was but it hasn't done it since.

Steven

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thats how the 1st gen Toyota's were. But from what the repair manual says its on the pass side fender well. It really doesn't matter now it works fine.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts