TTORA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are a few members on here with 4th gen 4runners and I believe the 2nd gen tacomas are set up roughly the same as far as gear ratio (3.73's), tire size, transmission gearing.

I just recently drove to chicago and on the way back I took the scenic route stopping in badlands, mt rushmore, black hills, devils tower, yellowstone, grand teton, flaming gorge, dinosaur national monument. Up until this trip I was fairly content with the stock 3.73 gearing and 285/70/17's. For this trip I had the 4runner loaded down pretty good as far as weight goes and I had a thule tahoe cargo bag straped to the roof. It was painfully obvious the 3.73's were not enough. No matter which direction I was traveling I seemed to be driving into a head wind and that combined with mountain passes and small grades was enough to make the transmission want to shift out of over drive way to often. Up until this trip I was planning on just installing a spartan locker in the rear and keeping the 3.73's. Most people on the forums seem to say 4.56 or 4.88. From the online calculators i have looked at 4.10's seem like they would be closer to the stock setup and could probably be done the cheapest sourcing a 4cly auto trans taco front clamsell and a v6 4.10 rear 3rd.

Anyone have any opinions, experience, recommendations? I have the 4.0 V6 and 4speed auto.

Thanks, John

·
NVTTORA Pres. 社長
696 Posts
The ratio calculators never have fields to input additional weight, rolling resistance, increased wind resistance, etc. it all plays a role in the overall calculation. The 4.10 ration isn't even worth consideration imho.

It's really simple for our style trucks. If you drive it on the road more often than on the dirt go with 4.56. If it is primarily an offroad build, go with 4.88.

I went w 4.88 and run on 33's, I get 15.5mpg on the highway fully loaded for a expo run. I get better mileage than stock geared taco with basically the same upgrades (weight/tires). I also turn 3k rpm at 85mph.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So after much deliberation I have decided to go the 4.10 route. I might end up regretting my decision but time will tell. There are several reasons for my decision but the main one being cost...

After doing some research it looks like I can get a used 4.10 front clamshell for around $400 shipped and a Tacoma 4.10 elocker rear 3rd for $400-600 shipped. So for $1000 or less I can regear and gain a rear selectable locker.

I don't see myself going larger than the 33" tires I currently have. As far as weight goes other than a set of sliders and eventually some RCI aluminum skid plates I don't see myself adding any additional weight either.

Going 4.56's and assuming I still buy a used elocker 3rd to regear looks like it will cost me at least double.

I also figured I would keep my stock 3.73 front clamshell. So if I ended up regretting my decision I could sell the 4.10 front clamshell for probably close to what i pay for it and regear my stock 3.73 front clamshell and 4.10 elocker 3rd to 4.56's.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
4 Participants
vegastoy
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing