TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know some of you guys have 4th gen 4runners, so I wanted to know what you guys did for CB radios. Specifically where did you mount the radio and anntanna. I've got the cobra 19 that I had in the 96, it fit perfectly in ash tray of the 3rd gen. I just can't seem to find a nice place to fit it in the 4th gen.

I don't have anything metal like bumpers or rack, so what's y'all's opinions on mag mount antanna's?

Mike

·
1,083 Posts
My CB isn't mounted anywhere, I plug it in on an as needed basis and just stick it between the passenger seat and the console to hold it steady.

Mag mounts are fine. Up high in the middle of the roof is an ideal place for an antenna.

·
Registered
230 Posts
My CB isn't mounted anywhere, I plug it in on an as needed basis and just stick it between the passenger seat and the console to hold it steady.
I'm currently doing the same with my cobra 19 but looking for a more permanent solution. I was thinking about trying to mount it in the little hidden glove box inside the main glove box location but that would probably require an auxiliary speaker.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
CB jammed between the seats would work, but I think would drive me crazy after a while. Looking at these guys, what do you think?

I've known a couple guys with this set up, but the transmit side never seemed to be great, they always seemed quite on my radio.
http://www.amazon.com/Cobra-75WXST-40-Channel-CB-Radio/dp/B00005N5WW/ref=cm_cmu_pg__header

This one I haven't seen before, I like the fact that it can be used as a completely portable unit also. Would be nice on trail runs when I get out of the taco, which has a perminent set up.
http://www.amazon.com/Midland-75-822-Channel-CB-Way-Radio/dp/B00000K2YR/ref=cm_cmu_pg__header

Mike

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did a search comparing the two. The midland won out in about every debate. May have to give it a try. Sure would fix my space issue.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I have a midland hand held/external antenna and it seems to work very well. It gets out as well as any "stock" radio. It is mated to a little wil mag mount. If you use it as a hand held with the rubber ducky inside your rig don't expect it to though.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's kinda what I was thinking would happen. I'll pare it with some kind of antenna, probably leaning toward a Wilson mag mount. Thanks for the review!

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ordered the Midland, should be here next week, we will see how it works. :D

·
NVTTORA Ex-Prez....
6,442 Posts
I have my little Uniden mounted right on the center console, by my right leg, at the end of the seat. Perfect place for it, as the unit is fairly small, but works great........especially with the big Wilson 1000 mag mount. I plugged in an external speaker, and basically just have it sitting behind the storage space in the center. Loud as hell!
I've been though the Cobra 75....actually....blew through three (3) of them, before figuring out iti was a piece of junk! This little Uniden has been really good and reliable though. :D And that's my :2cents::2cents::2cents:

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I didn't get hardly any reception inside the 4Runner with the stubby antenna, I didn't figure it would. I paired it with a LIL WIL I picked up at a truck stop and it works great! I'm pretty happy with this set up and would recommend it to anyone not looking to put a permanent set up in.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Just thought I would add my findings...

I also ordered the midland and have it hooked up to a magnet mount antenna. It takes less than 5 mins to install or take out of the 4Runner and it works great. I either hang it from my rear view mirror or in the cup holder when the road gets rough. Perfect setup for someone who want's a more temporary/removable cb setup.

Thanks for starting this topic and helping to keep my pockets lite...:D

·
Registered
796 Posts
Most truckstops have a "CB Shop". It's usually $15ish

·
NVTTORA Pres. 社長
696 Posts
There is a shop called Kelly's Radio Repair in North Vegas.
Real nice guy with real reasonable rates. He works out of an old RV that's been turned into a traveling radio repair bench.

Hit him up: https://www.facebook.com/KellysCbRadio

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
About this Discussion
19 Replies
9 Participants
Glory
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing