TTORA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 97 taco w/ v6 and 5sp. I had to use 4wd the first time this year due to snow, but i noticed a loud clunk when i disengage 4wd. I tried a few times to see if it would go away, but no matter what speed im going it still clunks. It sometimes takes up to 10 seconds for it to come out of 4wd, and i am sure that it didnt do this last winter. I changed the trans and transfer case fluid about a year ago, so that shouldnt be the problem. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
565 Posts
Sounds normal if you have auto hubs.
But then I have manual hubs, so what do I know.... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
297 Posts
chump16 said:
I have a 97 taco w/ v6 and 5sp. I had to use 4wd the first time this year due to snow, but i noticed a loud clunk when i disengage 4wd. I tried a few times to see if it would go away, but no matter what speed im going it still clunks. It sometimes takes up to 10 seconds for it to come out of 4wd, and i am sure that it didnt do this last winter. I changed the trans and transfer case fluid about a year ago, so that shouldnt be the problem. Any suggestions?
Its normal, the bind in the drivetrain between the front and rear is released when you take it out of 4wd. No worries at all.

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
yep mine does the same thing, perfectly normal

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well as long as everyone else's truck makes the same sound, that answers my question. I have a really bad vibration at all speeds, so i just wanted to make sure none of the 4wd components were the problem

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i dont use this truck for 4wheeling, just a commuter, so nothing should be bent. The tires havent been balanced in 3 yrs, so they are probably off a little. But the vibrations are really bad. My friend was in the truck and said it felt like he was sitting in a massage chair. I checked all the obvious, i think i might have to bring something to the dealer for once in my life.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the same problem, and i haven't been able to narrow it down. I just had my truck aligned and new tires put on. I noticed it after i had my lift installed. I took it to the dealer and they said that it is normal for that to happen because on the street the tires don't slip like they would when you're in the dirt. I don't buy this because it didn't happen before. Someone suggested that it my be that your front drive shaft needs to be adjusted, but i have no idea how or why.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
6 Participants
gringo
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing