TTORA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today I set out to do the 1st half of my 4WD conversion.

I got it all done, and all was good - so I thought.

On the drive home, it sounded like Tommy Lee was under the drivers side of my truck playing the drums.

The noise got worse when turning, and slowing down.

Couple of questions:

+ On both sides of the Diff where the CV's go in, there's about a 1/16" gap. Is that normal?

+ On the drivers side (at the wheel end) there is some play in the CV - like I can move it back and forth about 1/2". Is that normal?

+ When I lock the Passenger side hub - it actually feels like something's locking in. When I lock the driver's side hub, it doesn't really feel the same. Is this an indication of anything?

I think the problem is either the driver's side CV, Hub, or the POS "dust shield". The noise is definitely something that's rotating.

Any Ideas?

P.S. - I worked my ass off (by myself) all day long. I got the Diff, Spindles, Hubs, CV's, Camburg UCA's, and Donahoes installed, and didn't have time to take 1 single picture :(

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
yes, the gap is supposed to be there between the diff and the cv's. you need that room to be able to pry them out. the only thing I can think of is maybe one of them isn't in totally??? did you get the drive shaft installed?

·
Registered
4,489 Posts
+ On the drivers side (at the wheel end) there is some play in the CV - like I can move it back and forth about 1/2". Is that normal?
when u put the hubs on did you put the snap rings on the end of the CV's before u put the hubs on or did u use the tiny bolts that thread into the end of the CV?

I ask because it sounds like neither are on your cv's I ran my cv's with out either one for a few weeks and they'd move and clunk around.. my truck originally had the snap rings to hold the cv's into the spindle but converted over to the tiny bolts that hold them bolts have a pressed on oem washer and makes taking the cv's out much easier no damn snap ring..

·
Premium Member
11,173 Posts
I concur

Sounds like the hubs are not fastened to the cv's properly. yes there are two ways of accomplishing the task. I also preferred the bolts to the snap rings but you work with what you got.

Side note, Jamie I was half way expecting an pm or phone call so we could coordinate on me coming up to help on this project. I told you I would come help, but couldn't this weekend.

If you still need me to come up next weekend...hit me up either on the puter or by phone. I have already planned to come up, just need the details if you still want me to.
when u put the hubs on did you put the snap rings on the end of the CV's before u put the hubs on or did u use the tiny bolts that thread into the end of the CV?

I ask because it sounds like neither are on your cv's I ran my cv's with out either one for a few weeks and they'd move and clunk around.. my truck originally had the snap rings to hold the cv's into the spindle but converted over to the tiny bolts that hold them bolts have a pressed on oem washer and makes taking the cv's out much easier no damn snap ring..

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have a question, do the brass dust sheilds install both the same way. I ask because when i pried the CV's from the front diff the dust shields were in the same direction... if that makes sense. Are they supposed to be mirror images of each other or put on "facing the same way"... does it even matter?

Sorry for the thread jack

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I have a question, do the brass dust sheilds install both the same way. I ask because when i pried the CV's from the front diff the dust shields were in the same direction... if that makes sense. Are they supposed to be mirror images of each other or put on "facing the same way"... does it even matter?

Sorry for the thread jack
On the innder joint, the side with the rubber seal faces towards the diff. If one is backwards, you can tap it off with a hammer and turn it around and tap it back on, going in a circle each time.

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you still need me to come up next weekend...hit me up either on the puter or by phone. I have already planned to come up, just need the details if you still want me to.
I think I might just need to invest in a couple of new CV's - As I've thought about it tonight, I also think they're not secured properly.

Bear - I'd still love to have you come up next weekend to help me with the 2nd part. Doing all this stuff today by myself sucked a little bit. I'll PM you.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Hey, Jamie, any good gouge on the Camburg/Donahoe install? I'm still waiting for mine to show up (hopeing it's before I go on deployment next month!), but am always hunting good tips and pointers in advance.

Oh, and I went to pick up the bolts for the Donahoes today, and realized there *is* a choice on threads. I chose the "fine" threads. Was that right?

Thanks, and good luck with Part 2 of the install!

-Radar

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Hey, Jamie, any good gouge on the Camburg/Donahoe install? I'm still waiting for mine to show up (hopeing it's before I go on deployment next month!), but am always hunting good tips and pointers in advance.

Oh, and I went to pick up the bolts for the Donahoes today, and realized there *is* a choice on threads. I chose the "fine" threads. Was that right?

Thanks, and good luck with Part 2 of the install!

-Radar
i dont think they are fine threads

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
So today I set out to do the 1st half of my 4WD conversion.

I got it all done, and all was good - so I thought.

On the drive home, it sounded like Tommy Lee was under the drivers side of my truck playing the drums.

The noise got worse when turning, and slowing down.

Couple of questions:

+ On both sides of the Diff where the CV's go in, there's about a 1/16" gap. Is that normal?

+ When I lock the Passenger side hub - it actually feels like something's locking in. When I lock the driver's side hub, it doesn't really feel the same. Is this an indication of anything?

I think the problem is either the driver's side CV, Hub, or the POS "dust shield". The noise is definitely something that's rotating.

Any Ideas?

P.S. - I worked my ass off (by myself) all day long. I got the Diff, Spindles, Hubs, CV's, Camburg UCA's, and Donahoes installed, and didn't have time to take 1 single picture :(
yes on the 1/16" gap for the inners but NO for the play on the outers..shouldn't be any at all. I agree that it sounds like one CV is not properly installed at the wheel end...missing washer or C clip?

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Is there supposed to be a C clip on the inside of the Manual Hubs?

·
Registered
140 Posts
When you remove the manual hub stuff there is a washer and c-clip that goes on the cv to hold it in.If it ain't on there you will have some noise.

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So the c clip I'm seeing inside the hub is supposed to go on the CV?

·
Registered
140 Posts
That is correct.The end of the cv has a threaded hole in it and if you follow down the cv shaft you will see the groove where the c-clip goes.Washer goes on first then c-clip.My clip would not snap into the groove all the way so I threaded a bolt into the end of the cv and pulled out on it with pliers and clip snapped right into groove.Some ass hats at a shop worked on my truck and then I had a noise.I pulled off the manual hub and my washer and clip were just rattling around in there.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
There are C-clips on both sides of the half shaft. One fits on the diff end of the shaft about 1/8 from the end, It snapps into the diff when you install them. The other side should also have a snap ring on it. This goes on the end of the shaft holding the stub into the hub. You will need both of these in place...

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Okay - so - YEP! - the c-clip / Snap ring was the problem. It was missing, and since it's sunday I had to fabricate one.

Anybody know the part # for those clips? I want to order the proper one, and a shit ton of spares.

The violent noise I was hearing yesterday was in fact the sheet metal "dust shield" that covers the back side of the brake rotor. The dust shields on these spindles that I got look like a dog chewed them up, and since I have slotted brake rotors, they were making one hell of a racket when I'd turn and they made contact. I bent it back today which eliminated the noise, but the next time I have my wheels off, I think I'm just going to cut the fucking thing off!

So everything seems to be good except for the fact that one of my CV's has a small tear in the boot. (I can worry about that later)

·
Registered
576 Posts
I'm getting a similar noise but its when driving straight at around 30 and 40 mph. but not when I turn and its not loud under 30 or over about 45. I thought it was the same problem because I found a c-ring that had popped out but I can't figure out where it came from.

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
Okay - so - YEP! - the c-clip / Snap ring was the problem. It was missing, and since it's sunday I had to fabricate one.

Anybody know the part # for those clips? I want to order the proper one, and a shit ton of spares.

The violent noise I was hearing yesterday was in fact the sheet metal "dust shield" that covers the back side of the brake rotor. The dust shields on these spindles that I got look like a dog chewed them up, and since I have slotted brake rotors, they were making one hell of a racket when I'd turn and they made contact. I bent it back today which eliminated the noise, but the next time I have my wheels off, I think I'm just going to cut the fucking thing off!

So everything seems to be good except for the fact that one of my CV's has a small tear in the boot. (I can worry about that later)
check your email ;)

·
Premium Member
12,213 Posts
Note that if the clip isn't on the end of the cv the next time you change it, it may be in your diff.

·
Premium Member
11,173 Posts
I think I might just need to invest in a couple of new CV's - As I've thought about it tonight, I also think they're not secured properly.

Bear - I'd still love to have you come up next weekend to help me with the 2nd part. Doing all this stuff today by myself sucked a little bit. I'll PM you.
Sounds like you got your one issues solved…Good!

I'll wait on your pm. I have some questions for you regarding the weekend and plans.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.