TTORA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been driving in 4wd for a few days on snow and ice at normal speeds. Today Im driving and pull into a driveway and cant make it, the tires spin so I shift to 4low and try again. Still cant make it! When I shift to 4low the gearing is right in that I barely move, but the 4wd light on the dash doesnt come on and the front isnt driving, same thing in 4hi. Ive checked the fuses. Anyone know what the problems is? It seems like the hubs arent engaging when I shift to 4, which would make sense if the 4wd indicator is activated when the hubs lock. Oh ya and its ADD. I need to take care of this pronto, I cant make it anywhere, I might as well be driving a Chevy S10 4x4 then I would be used to these problems!!

·
Registered
870 Posts
i experienced the same symptons, my acutator motor for my front ADD took a shit, i could hear the t-case shifting when i pushed the 4hi button but i had no 4 wheel drive, so i pulled the cover off the motor and a bunch of water came out, so much for that thing being watertight. anyway i locked it by hand so my front end is always locked but i have manual hubs so it doesnt make a difference, when im on the street i simply unlock the hubs when im off-road i lock them, in your case i would check to make sure the motor is engaging the ADD stub shaft if it isnt, its time for a new motor, or a manual hub conversion

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
trdtacostand04 said:
i experienced the same symptons, my acutator motor for my front ADD took a shit, i could hear the t-case shifting when i pushed the 4hi button but i had no 4 wheel drive, so i pulled the cover off the motor and a bunch of water came out, so much for that thing being watertight. anyway i locked it by hand so my front end is always locked but i have manual hubs so it doesnt make a difference, when im on the street i simply unlock the hubs when im off-road i lock them, in your case i would check to make sure the motor is engaging the ADD stub shaft if it isnt, its time for a new motor, or a manual hub conversion
Good info, although im not sure I have a motor on mine, its an add 96 taco, and there is no button for 4 wheel drive like you have, I have only a second gear shift. Although I do not now that, anyone now the difference if any?

·
Registered
870 Posts
i have a second stick also, but it has a 4 hi button on the side, ill take some pics of the motor on the diff though...

·
Eats Own Boogers
1,489 Posts
When this happened to my '97 after the S/C install, it turned out to be a vacuum line that needed a T-fitting and spliced into another vacuum line. It's been a very long time now, the only other thing that I can recall about the incident was that the line was on the driver's side by the charcoal box/brake booster.

·
Registered
136 Posts
check your vacuum lines like Jade said. I had this problem too out on the trails and sure enuf the vacuum lines came loose. put it back in and bamm the 4wd worked again.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
maxdout said:
check your vacuum lines like Jade said. I had this problem too out on the trails and sure enuf the vacuum lines came loose. put it back in and bamm the 4wd worked again.

Both good ideas, im pretty sure the vaccum lines are the culprit. Since I have no pushbutton I believe my hubs are vaccum actuated so a loss of vac. would be consistant with no hub lock action, but my transfer case is still being shifted to 4 gearing.

Anyone know which vac.lines are responsible for 4x actuation or related?

·
Eats Own Boogers
1,489 Posts
VF'N8 said:
Both good ideas, im pretty sure the vaccum lines are the culprit. Since I have no pushbutton I believe my hubs are vaccum actuated so a loss of vac. would be consistant with no hub lock action, but my transfer case is still being shifted to 4 gearing.

Anyone know which vac.lines are responsible for 4x actuation or related?
Have you tried downloading this '96 FSM? Sometimes it's tricky or time consuming flipping through them for the info you want, but it's worth a shot.

·
Registered
136 Posts
i believe that the vac lines are on the driver side in the engine bay. there is 2 of them and there is a plastic piece or soemthing. you'llnotice it rather easily since it will be feeding down the engine. if it isn't loose there check the diff, the vac lines go the actuator. make sure it isn't off.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts