TTORA Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife drove my new 2006 TRD 4x4 from MD to NC - roughly 260 miles. I followed a couple of days later. She did not engage the 4WD. I come to town and for the first time engage the 4WD. It is raining cats and dogs here so I figure now is a good time to try it out. Cruising at about 35 mph I rotated the 4WD shift knob - I have an automatic - from 2H to 4H. It engages no problem. I park at my destination and return 10 minutes later. I notice that the vehicle is just a little difficult to turn. I downshift from 4H to 2H - again no worries. Once I'm out of the parking lot and on the main road I switch on the 4H again. I'm driving along talking and notice that under the steady green indicator that a red indictor for the 4WD system is flashing. I figure I'll down shift to 2H - but that does not stop the flashing.

So that little red indicator is flashing anytime I turn on the truck. Mechanically what is probably happening or not happening? Is there a simple solution to this? I plan to take it to the dealer - what kinds of questions should I ask? Is there something I should be aware of before going? Is there a solution that does not require involving the dealer? Does this kind of crap happen often? Aaarrgggh!

The truck is still under warranty - one week old.

Thanks for any assistance!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Most people are going to suggest you don't drive with 4wd on pavement. Even if it is raining. I don't know about "parking" with 4wd engaged. Personally, I don't do it. But I suppose it would be hard to keep that logic if you're on a trail or what-not.

I'm not sure what's happening to your truck. Sometimes, mine won't shift. I'll get the blinking green indicator for a while. Usually stopping, backing up a little, then going forward solves it.

·
Registered
87 Posts
OK, the truck is a week old, so just bring it back to the dealer and get it taken care of. Why even bother messing with it while its completely under warranty. Oh, and if you haven't read your service manual I would recommend it because rain is almost never 4wd-worthy. Good luck though, hope your dealer is decent.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks all

I actually have read the manual, but truthfully it leaves quite a bit to the imagination. I had already made an appointment to see the dealer which is why I raised the questions that I did.

As you probably suspected - user error. I had accidently engaged the Auto Differential which automatically disengages the 4WD.

Thanks too for the info about using 4WD. I have wondered about that. I turned it on this time because it was the first time that I had attempted to use it and wanted to make sure it was working properly.

Again, thanks for the suggestions!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts