TTORA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!

Boy it's been a long time since I've been here, love the forum!

Anyway, just today I noticed that my 4wd is not working, and because of this I almost got stuck. Anyway, the transfer case shifts just fine, but the indicator light on the dash does not light up and the front wheels aren't turning. Four-low works fine, just no power in the front wheels. Sound like the ADD? I hope the damage ($) isn't too bad, but maybe this would be covered under the powertrain warranty? (wishful thinking, I know)

BTW, 2001 2.7, 63k miles...

Thanks a lot fellas!

·
Registered
174 Posts
i had this same problum there is a little half grey half like blueish grey filter looking thing on your vacume line under the hood if you can find it pull it and flip it around and see if it works if not start checking all the electrical and vacum lines that go to or from the 4 wheel drive stuff thats what i did and found the little filter thing and that was it for me good luck

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply.

I'll take a look and see if I can find any loose vacuum lines. I guess I could have knocked something loose the last time I powerwashed down there...

·
Registered
436 Posts
stinkycoon said:
Thanks for the reply.

I'll take a look and see if I can find any loose vacuum lines. I guess I could have knocked something loose the last time I powerwashed down there...

i cant remember for sure when but sometime around your year they changed from vaccum to electric actuated i beleive. a guy that went on a run with us once had the same problem, seems like there was a relay, sensor or something that got water in it and shorted it out. i wish i could remember exactly what it was and how much it cost. i think it was on or around the diff. though... good luck on finding out and hopefully getting warranty coverage.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had the same problem on my '99 (no 4wd and no light)... turned out to be a sensor on the transfer case. It ran about $80, and it basically consists of a contact switch with rod and a little ball on the end. It tells the 4WD computer the shift fork in the transfer case has moved to 4WD and to engage the front diff.

An easy way to check the sensor is to unplug it at the transfer case (2-wire plug) and jump the wire plug terminals with a piece of wire or paperclip. The 4WD light will come on (and stay on as long as it's jumped), then shift the transfer case to 4WD and see if locks in and works... if it does, the sensor is your problem.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies guys. I'll check into the sensor at the transfer case. That would be great if that is it. The funny thing is that a month ago this would have been covered under warranty (60k powertrain); maybe they'll cut me some slack being at 62k miles...

·
Registered
54 Posts
rcrop50 said:
I had the same problem on my '99 (no 4wd and no light)... turned out to be a sensor on the transfer case. It ran about $80, and it basically consists of a contact switch with rod and a little ball on the end. It tells the 4WD computer the shift fork in the transfer case has moved to 4WD and to engage the front diff.

An easy way to check the sensor is to unplug it at the transfer case (2-wire plug) and jump the wire plug terminals with a piece of wire or paperclip. The 4WD light will come on (and stay on as long as it's jumped), then shift the transfer case to 4WD and see if locks in and works... if it does, the sensor is your problem.
do you happen to have a picture of this sensor, or known the general location. i am having this same problem right now and haven't looked for the sensor yet but am going out after this. thanks for any help. maybe a part number too...thanks again

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,421 Posts
Before you can assume the ADD is the culprit, you need to be sure your front driveshaft is spinning when you are in 4wd.

·
Registered
54 Posts
damn toyota wants 80 dollars just to diagnosis the problem and then they will tell me whats wrong and then the big bucks. and my sales person said that it is not under the powertrain warranty. he pulled out this booklet and said "that the sensor is not listed under the warranty options or something." well any help with pics or any other info about the sensor would be great...kinda in a bind...no $$$

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Worst case, if it is your ADD... pick a manual hub conversion kit. It'll prob be comparable to havin a dealer fix your ADD.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
stinkycoon said:
Hey guys!

Boy it's been a long time since I've been here, love the forum!

Anyway, just today I noticed that my 4wd is not working, and because of this I almost got stuck. Anyway, the transfer case shifts just fine, but the indicator light on the dash does not light up and the front wheels aren't turning. Four-low works fine, just no power in the front wheels. Sound like the ADD? I hope the damage ($) isn't too bad, but maybe this would be covered under the powertrain warranty? (wishful thinking, I know)

BTW, 2001 2.7, 63k miles...

Thanks a lot fellas!
I had that same problem a couple of months ago. I put the truck on a lift and threw it into 4hi and found that my driveshaft was spinning (t-case was ok), but the diff wasn't engaging. It turned out to be a toasted actuator motor. I got a used replacement actuator and was good as new.

·
Registered
12 Posts
mr4x403 said:
do you happen to have a picture of this sensor, or known the general location. i am having this same problem right now and haven't looked for the sensor yet but am going out after this. thanks for any help. maybe a part number too...thanks again
I don't have a picture, but it is towards the top of the transfer case on the drivers side if I remember correctly. It looks like a nut with a plug and 2 wires coming out of it.

I do have a MT with the one touch 4-Hi, so your Transfer case might be slightly different.

·
Registered
54 Posts
yah i unplugged the sensor and piggybacked it and it worked, so i thought the sensor was bad. but then i plugged it back in and tried it again a couple days later and it worked fine, so i think i am going to carry some wire just in case it happens again

·
Registered
230 Posts
i've read this thread, i'm curious, does anyone know where that sensor is on the transfer case is, i would like to try and piggyback it to see if that does anything

·
Registered
121 Posts
miguel4110 said:
God I love my manual hubs... :D

~Miguel
Right... I've got a 97 with manual hubs. I've never had a problem with getting it into 4 wheel drive.

·
Registered
110 Posts
thehulk said:
Right... I've got a 97 with manual hubs. I've never had a problem with getting it into 4 wheel drive.
I have an '01 with ADD and never had a problem getting it into 4wd...
WTF?

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
bigairrider01 said:
i've read this thread, i'm curious, does anyone know where that sensor is on the transfer case is, i would like to try and piggyback it to see if that does anything
Around '99 vintage, the sensor itself is up high near the back end on the passenger side of the t-case. It plugs in to the wiring harness through a blue plug which is held by a bracket to up high on the passenger side of the gearbox, kind of near where the gear shift lever comes out the top of the box. (Either location can be a PITA to get your fingers to).

·
Registered
93 Posts
JaresTaco said:
I have an '01 with ADD and never had a problem getting it into 4wd...
WTF?
I have an '01 ADD and the only time I have a hard time getting it into 4wd is when it's below 10 degrees outside.

Which means there is usually ice.

Which means I can't get outta my parking spot unless I can get 4wd to work.

:xdevil:

Anyone every think cold may play a role? Or does rocking the truck usually help the ADD engage?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts