TTORA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so im having some trouble with my 4wd both 4lo and 4hi don't work, is there anyhting i can possibly check to correct this problem??? Both can shift into place but dont engage, fronts dont spin.
its a 1996 Tacoma 3.4L V6 5VZFE 4WD not push button, est. cab.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Start with the easy:
Do you have manual hubs?, and did you remember to lock them?

·
Registered
947 Posts
So its ADD. I am not an expert in this area by any means, but it could be the actuator from what I have read. Also, does your light come on when you shift it? Your actuator can be either vaccum or electric. There might be some sort of fuse or something to start with. Maybe someone will help that knows more about ADD.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yea its ADD, the light does not come on when i shift it, but you never know the bulb could be burned out. this guy from customtacos also mentioned the vaccum line so im thinking it might be that, i guess ill have to bring it in to my teacher to check out

·
Registered
25 Posts
i had this problem also. mine is a 2000 model so i dont know if its different or not. under the hood, on the drivers inner fender is a small solenoid type thing with some small vacuum lines that go to the actuator on the diff. this had gotten some mud inside it some how and the vacuum was cut off. i replaced it with a junkyard piece for 20 bucks and it has been working ever since. you can take the lines off of it and pull it out and try to blow through it, you should be able too. just something else to check to figure out the problem.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Check to make sure your vac lines are in good shape. Hook a vac gun to the actuator to see if you can get it to work. It should not take more than 20 lbs of vac to move. If it locks in then the actuator is good, and you probably have a problem with a VSV or a vac leak.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hey everyone. The relay for the 4wd is right under the blower fan for air/heat. Just where you rest your right foot sitting on the passenger side, you have lift up the carpet. You should hear a "click" sound when you shift in and out of gear 4wd. Follow the the "clicking" noise. Hope this helps, I have pics but not with me at the moment.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts