TTORA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today i tried fixing my 4wd once again without any luck, i took off the actuator and cleaned it. ok so i narrowed it down to 3 things that could be the problem the solenoids, the vaccum lines, and the relay. Tomorrow i probably be doing the 12V test on the solenoids. And i have already tested the relay continuity and it was good. Does anyone know how i can increase the vaccum pressure? Could the electrical plug on the actuator be bad? The transfer case is fine, i lifted the truck up on 4 jack stands and put it into 4wd both drive shafts move, so i know thats good? Could the CV shafts be bad, im pretty much lost on what else could stop in from working. Also what is the type of differential fluid used on the front diff.? That ended up spilling all over the driveway as i took the actuator out.

Truck Info: 1996 Tacoma ext.cab 4wd, ADD, V6 Auto. without push button 4wd.

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
So today i tried fixing my 4wd once again without any luck, i took off the actuator and cleaned it. ok so i narrowed it down to 3 things that could be the problem the solenoids, the vaccum lines, and the relay. Tomorrow i probably be doing the 12V test on the solenoids. And i have already tested the relay continuity and it was good. Does anyone know how i can increase the vaccum pressure? Could the electrical plug on the actuator be bad? The transfer case is fine, i lifted the truck up on 4 jack stands and put it into 4wd both drive shafts move, so i know thats good? Could the CV shafts be bad, im pretty much lost on what else could stop in from working. Also what is the type of differential fluid used on the front diff.? That ended up spilling all over the driveway as i took the actuator out.

Truck Info: 1996 Tacoma ext.cab 4wd, ADD, V6 Auto. without push button 4wd.
just regular 90w gear oil in the diffs.
If a CV were busted you'd know it with ADD.

pm Dick Foster for the actuator problem...he's the local guru for that ;)

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
The front diff uses 75W-90 GL-5 hypoid gear oil. Easiest way to check out the vacuum operation would be to just swap the 2 hoses into the actuator (or the outputs of the VSVs). Do not expect the dash light to work in this case, you have to check operation by feel.

If you want to actually test or externally apply the vacuum, your local auto parts store will have a little vacuum hand pump with a guage. MityVac or some such brand, 25 - 50$ if I remember right. The hoses plug right in.

Edit: About 1 quart of gear oil.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I don't have an exact answer for you but a while back my trucks 4wd would not work. I would shift into 4hi and 4lo but it wouldn't engage. It felt like it was but up on the lift the front tires had no power. I had 99,987 mi. and a 100k mi warranty so I took it to the dealer. After rebuilding a transfer case and trying everyting in the book they discovered that a filter on one of the vacuum lines was reversed and not allowing vacuum. I guess the moral of the story is make sure you check everything, even the lttle things.
Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts