TTORA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2000 Tac w/ 4wd. I tried out the 4wd when i bought it just to make sure everything engaged and there were no strange noises, but yesterday I threw her in 4wd on a back road and took a sharp turn (slow turn) and it felt like someone threw on the breaks. It seemed like the front end was binding up, cause the rear tire was spinning trying to push it. I know there is limitations on the turning radius while in 4wd, but it shouldn't be doing this to my knowledge. Any ideas??????

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
4-hi is obviously more apparent than 4-low. It's enough resistance to stop the truck (like hitting the brakes) when i thottle off all the way. If I crank the wheel and start out it feel like i have the parking break on. I know it sounds weird. Also, even when i straighten the wheels back it still feels like it's binding when I start out again, but after i go forward a short bit it is fine. I start to feel it grabbing/restricting when i turn the wheel about 75% of the way.

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
Try engaging 4WD (and of course have the hubs locked if you have manual hubs) on pavement and slowly move the truck forward keeping the wheels straight. If you get a lot of binding, you've probably got mismatched gears.

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,528 Posts
I just bought a 2000 Tac w/ 4wd. I tried out the 4wd when i bought it just to make sure everything engaged and there were no strange noises, but yesterday I threw her in 4wd on a back road and took a sharp turn (slow turn) and it felt like someone threw on the breaks. It seemed like the front end was binding up, cause the rear tire was spinning trying to push it. I know there is limitations on the turning radius while in 4wd, but it shouldn't be doing this to my knowledge. Any ideas??????
Sounds completely normal. Thats called driveline bind-up and BTW its not a good thing. Thats actually the truck telling you the 4WD is working and stop driving in 4WD on high traction surfaces.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Fellas! I've owned a 01 Silverado and a 00 GMC Jimmy before this, but I've never seen the front end bind up that much no matter what surface i was on. Glad that's normal!!!

Thanks again!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts