TTORA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a way to get rid of the transfer case out of a 4wd tranny to make it 2wd, or do you have to just get a pre runner tranny? also, can you mate a manual tranny to a motor that was originally auto? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
yes on both

the 4x4 tranny to 2wd tranny will need to have a new output shaft and a new tailsection, plus new tranny mounts will need to be fabbed up....

you can mount a manual tranny behind an auto motor, but you will need to have provisions for the computer to think you are starting it in park or nuetral, and you will need to cut a hole in the floor, your driveshaft might need to be modified. you will need to get a manual tranny flywheel to replace the auto tranny flexplate. you will need to put pedals in for the manual, mount a master cylinder, and run lines for the slave on the tranny, of course you will need a new clutch as well

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
for the output shaft and tailsection, do I need to just find them off a prerunner tranny? if so, would they work off a tundra 2wd tranny, i have a tundra tranny at my house? or would it be easier to just sell this tranny and get a pre runner one (theres one for sale for 300 in the classifieds right now).

my truck already has all the manual stuff because i have a manual 2.7 and swapping it for a 3.4, the motor that im getting is an auto and im debating whether i want to keep the auto or go manual. either way its going 2wd.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
another questions, would an 04 motor be compatible with a 99 transmission as far as wiring goes? what years are and arent compatible?

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
i doubt the wiring is the same, especially if you are doing an engine swap.. my 85 2wd and 84 4wd are way different in wiring, both had a carbed 22r

it is most likely easier to just buy a whole tranny

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
is there anywhere i can find which year motors will match with different year trannys, or even somewhere that has part numbers? i have a sneaking suspicion(sp) that 04 wont work with 99 either, just because a lot of other parts of the vehicle has changed.

·
Registered
700 Posts
why not get a tranny out of a 5lug taco? might be hard to find, but everything is already 2wd for you, and you can probably find a wrecked 3.4 5spd 5lug if you look hard enough...

*edit* also a friend of mine w/ an 04 prerunner was thinking of going 5spd, and im pretty sure he would need an 04 tranny out of a 5lug in order for everything to work... something to do with the sensors or something, although its all way over my head. try getting ahold of daniel at toyworx, he will probably be able to help you out a lot with everything you need to know

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just leave the transfer case as is and you can shift into 4 low and pop a wheelie
thats what im doing right now and what i may end up doing if worse comes to worst. its just extra weight and another part that doesnt need to be there. and i need to get the tranny im running for good mounted up before i can start on my rear suspension.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
why not get a tranny out of a 5lug taco? might be hard to find, but everything is already 2wd for you, and you can probably find a wrecked 3.4 5spd 5lug if you look hard enough...

*edit* also a friend of mine w/ an 04 prerunner was thinking of going 5spd, and im pretty sure he would need an 04 tranny out of a 5lug in order for everything to work... something to do with the sensors or something, although its all way over my head. try getting ahold of daniel at toyworx, he will probably be able to help you out a lot with everything you need to know
I already have an 04 motor lined up. the manual thing isnt that big of a deal, id be happy with a 2wd auto. tell your buddy if he wants to sell his tranny ill buy it if its a reasonable price.

how do i get ahold of toyworx?

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
You are going to need to find an '03-04 transmission to go with that '04 motor. IIRC fly-by-wire started in '03. The auto transmissions from those years did not have a kick-down cable.

I've still got my '99 PreRunner transmission for sale. $250 but it's just going to take some work to get it work right with your '04 motor.

·
Registered
700 Posts
I already have an 04 motor lined up. the manual thing isnt that big of a deal, id be happy with a 2wd auto. tell your buddy if he wants to sell his tranny ill buy it if its a reasonable price.

how do i get ahold of toyworx?
he's not selling it cuz he never got a 5spd tranny.

ToyworX:
474 1288 ask for daniel

he's also on the board, user name toyworx.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
because im more into desert stuff. i had 4wd lt for a while but had nothing but problems with it so i ditched the 4wd and sold my front diff. now im putting on a new front end that cant be ran with 4wd anyways.

Why do you want to go backwards?

·
Registered
5,490 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
My truck is a late 2000 model (the earlier 2000's had a different trans), auto trans.

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
Just FYI, these parts will NOT bolt up to the end of a 4WD transmission. The splines on the output shaft of the PreRunner transmission are longer than the 4WD:

4WD:

PreRunner:

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
Ah - well - there's our answer! I've never seen a 4WD tranny taken apart, so I didn't know.

If you still want the parts for some reason, let me know.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
cool thanks for clearing that up...

so if i had a pre runner tranny, could i swap the output shaft into the 4wd one?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.