TTORA Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm normally a FORD guy, but I got tired of drive train problems. I went out and bought me a tacoma and now have the same problems. I own a 2003 6-cyclinder auto 4x4 tacoma with a manual transmission (4wd button on 4wd shifter).

On a real cold morning I went out to start my truck and the 4wd stopped working (it was late January). The light would go on sometimes but no 4wd. I brought it to a mechanic and he said it was the transfer case shift motor. Having had this problem before with my Ford, I thought no big deal. Then I saw the price...

$1000 later I ended up swaping the entire transfer case (w/ shift motor) out and still have no 4wd. Now the 4wd light dosen't even come on. No 4wd motion or noise at all. My mechanic told me when he plugs and unplugs actuator motor on front end (i never new there was one) the vehicle trys to shift into 4wd, but thats about it.

HELP...

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
kpu1198 said:
I'm normally a FORD guy, but I got tired of drive train problems. I went out and bought me a tacoma and now have the same problems. I own a 2003 6-cyclinder auto 4x4 tacoma with a manual transmission (4wd button on 4wd shifter).

On a real cold morning I went out to start my truck and the 4wd stopped working (it was late January). The light would go on sometimes but no 4wd. I brought it to a mechanic and he said it was the transfer case shift motor. Having had this problem before with my Ford, I thought no big deal. Then I saw the price...

$1000 later I ended up swaping the entire transfer case (w/ shift motor) out and still have no 4wd. Now the 4wd light dosen't even come on. No 4wd motion or noise at all. My mechanic told me when he plugs and unplugs actuator motor on front end (i never new there was one) the vehicle trys to shift into 4wd, but thats about it.

HELP...
It sounds like you may have had a problem with your actuator but before you pay that kind of money (I don't think an actuator would cost $1000!) connections and grounds should have been checked. Now that you've spent this much money and still have the same problem just tells me that you wasted $1000. If you'd posted with your original problem, someone might have saved you some money. First check your 4wd module to your ECU ground which is located to the left of your clutch and be sure it is grounded (also see the grey-wire-mod) in the tech section for more info. I'm sorry you wasted your money. Did you check all your fuses? Drivers'-side lower dash and under the hood?
There are some serious experts on this board and I'm sure you'll be wheeling soon. But it sounds a little like you are trying to put your rig in 4wd while on pavement to me.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
There is a plug on the Transfer case that senses when you shift into 4WD. This signal is sent indirectly down to the front differential to engage the ADD. Check to see if the actuator on the front Diff is actually doing anything.

The light on your dash is a direct result of a limit switch closing on your front diff...

Here's your test, When you shift into 4WD, can you grab the front driveshaft and turn it? If not, then the T-case is working just fine.... Now jack up one tire, Preferably the passenger side, and can you turn this? If so either the ADD or the actuator system isnt' working right. I believe that the '03 actuators are electronic, not Vacuum. So you may want to test the plug to see if you are getting the signal from the T-case.

Steve

BTW if you need a new front actuator, There are tons of guys here hacking off the front suspension, and basically begging someone to take all of that stuff away. You could probably get one pretty cheap here if that is actually your problem. If you were here in Phoenix, I'd just have you come over and I'd help you Troubleshoot. Maybe Find someone locally to you that may be able to lend a hand.

·
Registered
307 Posts
My friend had a similar thing happen, he got stuck out middle of nowhere, cause his 4wd light wasnt coming on and no 4wd no workie, after a while of searching around, the plug by the front diff to engage the diff was half unplugged, we plugged it in and walah, it worked.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts