TTORA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went out for a little wheeling today about half way through the day my 4hi stoped working, 4low still works fine. When I got home it was dark so I have not got to look at yet. I'm going to look at it tommorrow but, anyone have any ideas as to what is wrong with it.

Robbie

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Just so we know. How do know the 4HI stoped working? Also what year Taco do your have? All manual T-case or do you have the 4HI button on the T-case shifter?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry guys, I was going to put the year but forgot. I have a 04 with auto hubs and the manual T-case. Well I would shift it into 4hi and the light would not come on. When I tried to go just the rear tires would spin.

Robbie

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
04robbie said:
Sorry guys, I was going to put the year but forgot. I have a 04 with auto hubs and the manual T-case. Well I would shift it into 4hi and the light would not come on. When I tried to go just the rear tires would spin.

Robbie
on my runner with autos it dont shift right into 4h like it will in 4L, it may have to roll a couple of feet or even back up for it to engage. If not that first check some fuses

·
Registered
6 Posts
04robbie said:

Robbie
Did you try driving in reverse for 10 feet or so then going back to forward? Sometimes it can take a bit and you may have to go from reverse to forward. Have you checked your fuses? So the 4wd light came on in 4-lo but not 4-hi?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Muffyh101 said:
Did you try driving in reverse for 10 feet or so then going back to forward? Sometimes it can take a bit and you may have to go from reverse to forward. Have you checked your fuses? So the 4wd light came on in 4-lo but not 4-hi?
I checked some fuses and they are fine and nothing happened when I drove. No the light never came on in 4lo. I saw the front wheel spinning, so I know it was working.

·
Premium Member
2,060 Posts
04robbie said:
I checked some fuses and they are fine and nothing happened when I drove. No the light never came on in 4lo. I saw the front wheel spinning, so I know it was working.
Put the truck in 4-hi, leave the emergency brake off, and put the front and rear of the truck on jackstands. Get underneath the truck and try to see if the front driveshaft rotates while you manually rotate the rear driveshaft. If it doesn't rotate, then the only uneducated guesses I can think of is that the shift linkage is somehow off a bit or there's something wrong with the shift fork inside the t-case (assuming Tacoma chain-driven t-cases have shift forks?). My bet is that the shift linkage is off - either you think you've moved the shifter sufficiently enough to be in 4-hi when in fact it's not, or it actually is in the 4-hi position but the linkage that connects the shifter to the t-case is off somehow. But who knows, those are just my uneducated guesses. Could be something completely different. Since it's new, I agree with the other advice that you might be best served taking it to the dealer and getting it checked out while it's still under warranty.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think the warranty is out of the question with the 6" fabtech and arb's. Its been raining just about all week so I have not got under it, but tommorrow I will see if anything is bent or came off.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have the truck up on jack stands now. I put it in 4hi/low and the front drive shaft does spin, but the front wheels don't. I turned the lockers on and tried it again. The front pass side wheel doesn't spin. Anyone have any more ideas.

·
Premium Member
2,060 Posts
04robbie said:
I have the truck up on jack stands now. I put it in 4hi/low and the front drive shaft does spin, but the front wheels don't. I turned the lockers on and tried it again. The front pass side wheel doesn't spin. Anyone have any more ideas.
I'm inclined to guess that your t-case is working if the front driveshaft spins when you put it in 4hi/lo and rotate the rear driveshaft. But just out of curiosity, does it (front driveshaft) still spin even when you take it out of 4wd and put in 2wd? If not, then maybe your auto hubs aren't working correctly? Although I'm a bit stumped on that uneducated guess (front auto hubs not working) since you say that the front driver side wheel spins when you turn on the locker. (I take it you have an ARB up front?)

·
Registered
565 Posts
04robbie said:
Sounds like a front differential issue......

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
8 Participants
DakotaTacoma
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing