TTORA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I spent a bit of money, including shipping on these parts, but it all seems worth it at my halfway point of install.

Front spindles w/ manual hubs and shifter plate/interior plastics - A parted out Tacoma in Tulsa
Transmission with transfer case, 88K on them- Parts yard up in Maine
Front 3.91 carrier (didn't want to regear the rear. My 4x4 is only for those winter months, mainly) - A TTora member in CA
Front dshaft and 4x4 crossmember - A TTora member in SC
Complete rear dshaft - Couldn't get them to part it out so had to buy whole thing - Parts yard in SC
CV's L & R - Local parts yard
75.00 - Freight on all shipped to me
$1011.00 - Total overall

I got the front half done last weekend. I the spindles came to me boxed together and the dust shields were completely messed up. For the time being, I just got a BDH and knocked them back to somewhat their original shape. The plan for today or maybe next weekend is the swap out those shields with the ones off my old 2wd spindles.

The person I bought the spindles from cut the CV's in half instead of removing them. I was fine with it, except it took me forever to get those manual hubs all the way off and to get the snap ring holding the CV in place, without the cv or spindle really being attached to anything. I had someone just stand on the damn thing to stop it from moving with my socket wrench. My wife was a trooper (not a car person at all). She came out and with her very own (labeled) BDH, she got to tap the CV shaft out of the spindle, while I held on to the spindle itself. Wasn't necessary, but she felt hardcore doing it.

After the spindles were done, I couldn't get the old spindles off. Every gear puller I rented at the 'Zone kept braking. They don't know that. I just returned it for my money back - no questions asked. Finally, I found that if you remove the four lower ball joint/steering knuckle bolts and then beat the upper vertical arm with a big d#mn hammer, the spindle will exit the bolt joint hole eventually.

Cleaned out the diff, filled it, and then had a friend install it with me. The rear bolt was a minor hindrance, but we still had it in after ten mins of trying.

Then installed the CV's and then bolted back on my new 4wd spindles. After installing the manual hubs and dropping the truck down, I found that I did not put the hubs together right, bc with it unlocked, I couldn't spin the CV with my hand. I just pulled the clutch out to be reinserted *correctly* today. That way, I'm not killing my new carrier by driving 70 down the interstate to work everyday.

I wish I had taken pics, but most of this was just me and even with gloves on, its hard to hold a camera and take pictures with really dirty hands.

I'm going to attempt the tranny install either today or someday this week, depending on my buddy's work schedule. I'm using his shop to do this all in. I'm hoping to have someone else there to take pics of the overall dshaft/tranny removal procedure and the tranny/xfer case/fr&rdshaft install.

Its not a 4x4 yet, but I already tell a weight difference, esp when trying on the interstate trying to drive fast. I'm still really impressed with the way the manual hubs look on my truck.

I'll be updating this every once in a while when I do something new. I'll try and post pics of my truck tonight too.

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
That seems really cheap for a conversion. Nice job. I wish Kauai had Tacomas in the junk yard. Everyone here keeps them, broken or not. :(

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
No. I thought about it, but then that's more than I wanted to spend. I just went out and bought a transmission and transfer from a 99 4x4. With the truck being twelve years old, it just seems more economical to swap out tranny's than to try and mod the existing one, given that the parts can be found pretty easily and pretty cheap. To each their own, but it doesn't make a lot of since to me.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay, after weighing options and talking with my wife, I've decided to abandon my 4x4 project. I'm going back to 2WD on my Prerunner to keep it stock and a little easier on gas than the 4by. So, if anyone is wanting to buy any of this stuff listed above from me, make an offer. I'd like to make back what I paid, but I understand that that prob won't happen. I'd prefer to sell it all to the same person, but I'd part for the right price.

$900.00 for all

·
Registered
223 Posts
Where are you located? Interested in your rear drive shaft.

Sorry to hear about the x on the conversion.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Me too. I'm out of Nashville, TN 37130. The rear driveshaft was a pretty good deal. I only paid for the intermediate shaft, but the parts shop sent me the propeller, then after they realized they made a mistake, shipped me the intermediate also. Offer?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Just wanted to see how far you were away. Shipping from Tennessee to Maryland could be expensive. Interested in the whole shaft both sections. Most of the shafts around here go for like $200 so if there was anyway to have both pieces shipped for under that I would be interested.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I can do that for $180.00. That includes shipping. Send payment via paypal to [email protected] or just write me a check and mail it to:
Cliff Pierce
7208 Lazyhollow Ln
Smyrna, TN 37167

·
Registered
223 Posts
Pm sent

1 - 13 of 13 Posts