TTORA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

So I was out looking at vehicles the other day and my local toyota dealership has two 06 tacomas left and both are a really a great deal. Both were the ones they used for test drives so they have like 1k mi on them and the dealership is really antsy to get rid of them (>20k out the door). So my question is this I do I go for the 4x4 with just the bare bones package or do I go for the 4x2 with TRD Off-road. I mostly drive in the city but I do like to go and hit the trails now and then. I don't really plan on modding this much nor am i particularly able to do so (have the mechanical knowledge of a 3 year old =( ). Oh yeah both are access cabs with standard beds.

Thxs,
Chris

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Having never owned a 2WD, I would have to say go for the 4x4. You may not use it all the time but the times you want it, you won't regret having bought a 2WD:2cents:

Good luck and let us know what you end up with...

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
From what it sounds like you want to use it for, I would go 4x2.

4x2 with a locker will take you plenty of places! (4x4 with open diffs is really 2 wheel drive in slick stuff...)

4x2 will get better gas mileage, maintenance costs are considerably lower, and insurance is cheaper.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Buy the 4X4...Like someone else said...It only takes needing it once, then you will wish you bought it.

Also, better resale if you care.

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
4x4 bare bones will go more places than a locked 2WD. Granted, a locked 4x2 with an experienced driver (Jamie is a good example) will be able to keep up and may even get through some obsticles that inexperienced 4x4 owners may have trouble with, you are simply better off with 4WD.

If you buy a PreRunner now, you'll regret it later. As me how I know....

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
If you think you might need a 4X4 than you should get it. It's better to get now than wish later. Yes a plain 4X4 is a 2 wheel drive (1 rear and 1 front) is better than a 2 wheelers 1 rear only. If you get a 2 wheeler with a locker in the rear, it would be a 2 wheel drive or the same in a 4X4 would be a 3 wheel drive.

·
Registered
153 Posts
a 4x4 (even open) is going to do you more good offroad then a locker in the vast majority of situations...moab style rocks being a possible exception. As said, the 4x4 is going to have a better resale too. I'd get the stripper model 4x4 any day.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Both trucks, same price?? Get the 4x4, for all of the reasons stated above.:2cents:

·
Registered
212 Posts
having a 2wd tacoma is like you are missing a testicle. Get the 4wd

·
Premium Member
5,955 Posts
Most dealers Will set you up with a lift/wheel/tire combo. You will pay a bit more for it,have it thrown in with your note,so you wont have to drive out and shell out more $$ to have it done. plus you'll get less hassle from the dealer on warranty work.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Get the 4x4. Plain and simple. If you don't, you'll regret it later.

·
Registered
483 Posts
4x4
then you can flip off people on the side of the road putting on chains!

·
Registered
177 Posts
GET THE 4X4. you wont regret it. i have never herd a person say that they wished they got the 2WD. i always hear people wishing they got the 4WD:2cents:

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
go bare bones 4x4... Less stuff to break down the road
like power windows and all that other junk that takes a crap.
Plus like said above...you may never use it but when you NEED to youll be happy you bought it.

·
Registered
319 Posts
4WD all the way...its always nice to have, no matter what the pre-runners try and say!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts