TTORA Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 4x4 won't engage on my truck. When I hit the 4wd button nothing happens no light, no noise, nothing. Randomly some days when you start the truck the 4x4 light will come on and stay on (not blinking) then next drive it will be off. If I put it in 4lo it only drops into 2lo, so the transfer case is working a little bit. Rear E-locker also works.

I jacked up the front and it seems like the front differential is stuck engaged. If I spin the front wheel the front drive shaft will turn but it is disengaged at the transfer case. I have the PDF version of the FSM and see pin 2 and 6 are power on the front actuator. I can put 12v on there and moved the actuator back and forth but either position the front wheels still turn the front driveshaft.

I also tried to test the transfer case actuator but I can't find an accurate pinout and I don't want to accidentally fry something. The FSM seems wrong here it shows a 3x3 connector while mine has 6 in a row like my front. The wires look different so I don't think the pins are the same as the front. I did check and I'm getting power on pin 3 and 6 or maybe 4 and 1 not sure what side is pin 1. The voltage varies from 10v-12v at the tcase which I find odd, I have a loZ function on my meter though so I know its not a ghost voltage from a broken wire.

I also tested the 4wd selector switch and I have 12v there and the switch is working properly.

Does anyone have or know the correct pinout or test procedure for the transfer actuator on a 2004 TRD offroad version? or knows what I should do or try next?

I miss the old TTORA all the other forums suck no one knows what the hell they're talking about. Everything feels like customtacos compared to old TTORA.

Is there any other active offroad forum where people actually use their truck and know how to fix them from breaking everything? or somewhat knowledgeable about tacomas? suggestions appreciated

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For anyone else with a similar issue. Here is the pinout and test for a 04 transfer case actuator.

I found out my transfer actuator was fine. The problem was the front actuator got stuck partially engaged. It was engaging the front wheels but not enough for the sensor to pick up. This was causing the 4wd button to do nothing. I removed the front actuator reached in and disengaged the diff by hand and everything started working. I watched the front actuator fork as I hit 4wd and everytime the fork would stop just short of fully engaged.

Tried rebuilding and regreasing the actuator. Works 9 out of 10 times now but the piston connected to the fork is getting jammed.

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts