TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched and searched and can't figure out the answer to my issue. Whats going on is i've swapped in the 4x4 transmission, and the transfer case that I've got does not have a speed sensor so I picked one of those up and when I go to put the speedometer drive gear (I believe thats what its called, its the long pin thing with the gear at the end of it) into the speed sensor its to long and sticks out about an inch. Do I need to also get a different drive gear? I hope this makes sense and I swear I've looked all over. Thanks guys

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
I've searched and searched and can't figure out the answer to my issue. Whats going on is i've swapped in the 4x4 transmission, and the transfer case that I've got does not have a speed sensor so I picked one of those up and when I go to put the speedometer drive gear (I believe thats what its called, its the long pin thing with the gear at the end of it) into the speed sensor its to long and sticks out about an inch. Do I need to also get a different drive gear? I hope this makes sense and I swear I've looked all over. Thanks guys
I don't understand your question. Are you asking if you need a new gear or a new sensor?

http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1315264&postcount=8

Pre-Runner Sensor fits in the Pre-Runner Transmission.
4x4 Sensor fits in the T-Case.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm sorry. What i'm asking is why is the shaft thing with the gear at the end of it not fitting all the way down inside of the speed sensor. It sticks out about an inch. The speed sensor is in fact for a 4x4 transmission and transfer case and thats what I have. The transmission is from a 97 tacoma by the way.

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
I'm sorry. What i'm asking is why is the shaft thing with the gear at the end of it not fitting all the way down inside of the speed sensor. It sticks out about an inch. The speed sensor is in fact for a 4x4 transmission and transfer case and thats what I have. The transmission is from a 97 tacoma by the way.
Take a picture. Also see the above link to see if it looks the same.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
The long stem is for the old cable drive speedos 97 and older. in 98 they went to the electronic version, that one's stem is about an inch shorter. they will not interchange.

The cable drive one goes almost all the way threw the VSS . The Housing is basically hollow.

Pics

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, so i've ordered a shorter stem and will be getting that tomorrow. If all goes as planned it should just pop right in the speed sensor and I'll have a speedometer again. Thanks

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Ok, so i've ordered a shorter stem and will be getting that tomorrow. If all goes as planned it should just pop right in the speed sensor and I'll have a speedometer again. Thanks
Also.. I should have added that there are different seedo gear ratio's for different trucks. You will need the correct gears to match the inner and outer gear. The wrong one would be like using a 4.10 ring gear and a 5.29 pinion together.... I had to swap the steal gear from my transfer case to use my old VSS. Im not sure if the 2wd transmissions use the same VSS and inner gear as the 4x4 transmissions (T-case).

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got the new gear the other day, it popped right into the speed sensor no problem, I also extended the wire to reach the new location of the sensor, plugs right in no problem but my check engine light is still on and the speedometer still doesn't work. Now i'm really confused. All of the other sensors are in. If this helps out at all its 97 transmission, a 98 sensor with the new shorter gear to accommodate the 97 transmission, and a 2002 prerunner. Any ideas?

·
Going John Galt
31,844 Posts
Got the new gear the other day, it popped right into the speed sensor no problem, I also extended the wire to reach the new location of the sensor, plugs right in no problem but my check engine light is still on and the speedometer still doesn't work. Now i'm really confused. All of the other sensors are in. If this helps out at all its 97 transmission, a 98 sensor with the new shorter gear to accommodate the 97 transmission, and a 2002 prerunner. Any ideas?
you can't just change the gear like that...different animals.
the 95.5-97 Tacoma tcases use a cable, not a wired sensor. (see pic above)
I don't know about the Runner tcases if that's what you've used.
you say 'wire' as in only one wire? should be 3.

'98-04 Taco sensor should look like this:

you can only use the gear/shaft assemblies specified for this sensor; there are 5 different tooth counts available.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
you can only use the gear/shaft assemblies specified for this sensor; there are 5 different tooth counts available.

I know there are 3 wires, I was just referring to them as a whole.

The gear/shaft assembly that I've got is specified for the sensor that I have. The tooth count is 30, which is the same count that the previous gear was.

Does this mean that I can't use a 98 speed sensor in a 97 transmission?

·
Going John Galt
31,844 Posts
I know there are 3 wires, I was just referring to them as a whole.

The gear/shaft assembly that I've got is specified for the sensor that I have. The tooth count is 30, which is the same count that the previous gear was.

Does this mean that I can't use a 98 speed sensor in a 97 transmission?
possibly...it will depend on the build date on the '97 donor Tacoma. all the early ones had the cable type of sensor, not the electronic in the pics above. The two sensors are not compatible. If your donor tcase (not tranny) originally came with a cable sensor you cannot just throw an electronic one in there...won't work.
It is possible, however, that a '97 tcase from a 4Runner will have the electronic sensor or at least a cap where said sensor would go.

got any pics of what you have?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I can get pictures but not till tomorrow. Based off of the photos that Yotaoffroad27 posted, the sensor that was in the transfer case is in fact the cable driven one.

Well this sure puts things back for me. Looks like my best bet is to look for a different transfer case? And I'm assuming a 98 or newer transfer case wont bolt up to a 97 transmission?

·
Going John Galt
31,844 Posts
I can get pictures but not till tomorrow. Based off of the photos that Yotaoffroad27 posted, the sensor that was in the transfer case is in fact the cable driven one.

Well this sure puts things back for me. Looks like my best bet is to look for a different transfer case? And I'm assuming a 98 or newer transfer case wont bolt up to a 97 transmission?
trannys will be the same so no issue there. just make sure you get a v6 tcase for a 3.4 v6 or a 4cyl tcase for a 2.7 as the shaft spline counts are different between the two.
before you ditch it completely you might check with Inchworm and/or Marlin as they may have an adapter.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok, I've got one last question and i'm sorry if its a stupid one, but is it possible to use a transfer case from a manual transmission on my automatic transmission? Thanks for all of your help, I really appreciate it

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Ok, I've got one last question and i'm sorry if its a stupid one, but is it possible to use a transfer case from a manual transmission on my automatic transmission? Thanks for all of your help, I really appreciate it

yes and no.

The transfercase it self work the same for both apps. The Auto that is behind the 4cyl uses a Forward shift T case, and all other tacoma transmissions use top shift. You will need to swap the shift forks and you need a top shift stick for the case. the base of the shifter is shapped different.

Top and Forward shift

You can see here where the auto has the place for the shifter in the back.

And what it looks like from the top of the auto with the stick out, and the block off plate off the t-case, you can see how the bolt pattern is different.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yes and no.

The transfercase it self work the same for both apps. The Auto that is behind the 4cyl uses a Forward shift T case, and all other tacoma transmissions use top shift. You will need to swap the shift forks and you need a top shift stick for the case. the base of the shifter is shapped different.

Top and Forward shift
So i'd only need to swap the shift forks if I've got the 4cyl? Because I have the Automatic 3.4L, and I've found a 3.4L manual transfer case from an 03 in my area.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
I am not sure about the V6 stuff, If you get one from from an Auto 4ycl you will need to change the shift forks. I think there maybe a spline count difference between the v6 and 4cyl cases but im not sure... the picture i posted of the T-cases shows 2 4cyl cases,one top shift and one forward shift.

EDIT: I was thinking you had a 4cyl for some reason. The set up you are talking about will work. The 4cyl Auto is only one that is forward shift. From what i can tell all the rest are top shift.

The reason the 4cyl Auto has to be a forward shift is because the 4cyl is longer than the v6. and the Auto is longer than the manual, since you have the longest combo together your T-case shifter would be too far back and the cab would need to be different. thus the forward shift case.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Makes sense. Thank you for that info. I've stumbled upon another question, the transfercase that i'm looking at buying is the kind for the push button 4wd shifter. How does this affect me if my 4wd shifter does not have the push button feature? Sorry for all of the questions, I'm still very new to all of this.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts