TTORA Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Makes sense. Thank you for that info. I've stumbled upon another question, the transfercase that i'm looking at buying is the kind for the push button 4wd shifter. How does this affect me if my 4wd shifter does not have the push button feature? Sorry for all of the questions, I'm still very new to all of this.

You are now out of my area, but I think the puch button kind is a 02 and up thing. Not 100% sure but it started on to 01 front end style. There is a motor on the back side of the transfer case. It controles the 2wd- 4wd fork. So the stick you have will only go Forward and Back (Much like a crawler box.)It controles High and Low range. The button is pretty inportant. You could rig something up and make it work but having the right shifter would be best. I personally would rather have the J-shift patteren. There is also Hubs to work with too. If your truck came with auto hubs I think that the T-case ties into all that. Maybe someone that has delt with that suff personally will fill in the rest

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Ok well it it turns out that the the transfer case does have the push button shifter with it as well so i'm just gonna try it out and hope that it works. I'll be sure to let you guys know if it does. Once again thanks for everything

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
I am not sure about the V6 stuff, If you get one from from an Auto 4ycl you will need to change the shift forks. I think there maybe a spline count difference between the v6 and 4cyl cases but im not sure... the picture i posted of the T-cases shows 2 4cyl cases,one top shift and one forward shift.

EDIT: I was thinking you had a 4cyl for some reason. The set up you are talking about will work. The 4cyl Auto is only one that is forward shift. From what i can tell all the rest are top shift.

The reason the 4cyl Auto has to be a forward shift is because the 4cyl is longer than the v6. and the Auto is longer than the manual, since you have the longest combo together your T-case shifter would be too far back and the cab would need to be different. thus the forward shift case.
Yes. the 4cyl and 6cyl have different spline (input and output shafts) so are not compatible. If you have a 6cyl you need a 6cyl tcase.

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,213 Posts
You are now out of my area, but I think the puch button kind is a 02 and up thing. Not 100% sure but it started on to 01 front end style. There is a motor on the back side of the transfer case. It controles the 2wd- 4wd fork. So the stick you have will only go Forward and Back (Much like a crawler box.)It controles High and Low range. The button is pretty inportant. You could rig something up and make it work but having the right shifter would be best. I personally would rather have the J-shift patteren. There is also Hubs to work with too. If your truck came with auto hubs I think that the T-case ties into all that. Maybe someone that has delt with that suff personally will fill in the rest
The 4wd button acts just like a regular switch. All you need to do is run the wires to a switch.

I had to do this when I went with the crawler box and crawler shifters, and my button is mounted on the center console. Works the safe exact way as the button on the shifter...

You can use either manual hubs or ADD for the front end, but I think the diff needs to have the electric actuator for the ADD on the diff. If needbe, you can swap out the tubes to have the manual hub stuff and non-add.

-Phill

·
Registered
183 Posts
Question for OP, @Dustinf, Just wondering if you ever got squared away with your speed sensor situation....?

I may be in a similar boat...I've just swapped in a 97 4runner auto/tcase combo that didn't come with a VSS. It has the spot for it but now I am wondering if its going to be an electric one or the early mechanical one... And how in the world to figure out how many teeth it should have on the gear...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Question for OP, @Dustinf, Just wondering if you ever got squared away with your speed sensor situation....?

I may be in a similar boat...I've just swapped in a 97 4runner auto/tcase combo that didn't come with a VSS. It has the spot for it but now I am wondering if its going to be an electric one or the early mechanical one... And how in the world to figure out how many teeth it should have on the gear...
I am having the same problem. Did a swap from 4Runner with j shifter to 2003 Tacoma prerunner. Just can’t get the speedo to work.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts