TTORA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2004 Tacoma Reg Cab, 4x4, 4 cyl, manual trans., stock 4.30 gears, stock 265/70R16 tires.

It's a daily driver, and I want a suspension that gives good handling on the road with a hunter's trailer. I don't want to lift it - I just want to restore the original ride height after installing a winch/bumper (adds 100 lbs?) in front with 300 lb tongue weight in the rear. The rear sags badly with 300 lbs on the hitch in stock form.

Could I put in Double Cab front springs and Helwig helpers in the rear? Is there a better combination? What shocks would be best for the standard ride height?

I don't want to sink a fortune into it, but I'm willing to spend some bucks if I can be sure I get it right for the $.

Thanks,

Don

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
i asked something like that...like i wanted to put a ARB bull bar and winch and someone told me with that much weight you should get some type of coilovers...so maybe some SAW 2.0 and set them at 0"...for the rear...some new leaf pack could help..but since i'm no expert i have no clue about that

but someone well hlep you out with these qeustions

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
With the weight of a winch/bumper on the front you will need a much higher spring rate to handle it. I have a fabtech lift that has a "progressive" rate, simply crank the coilover for more spring rate however i dont know how it'd hold up over time. I know that some people recomend an OME spring for this sort of thing, maybe the 881? But also if you are sagging in the rear w/300 maybe you should get an add a leaf. It will stiffen the rear ride a bit but it will give the leaf pack more balls.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
At first glance it would seem that the heavier double cab front springs would make up for the weight difference of the bumper/winch on the front. Does anybody know if the TRD Dcab front springs will fit on the stock shocks?

Don

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Don G said:
At first glance it would seem that the heavier double cab front springs would make up for the weight difference of the bumper/winch on the front. Does anybody know if the TRD Dcab front springs will fit on the stock shocks?

Don
The TRD Dcab front springs are a direct swap, but will not solve the problem you have. Because they are progressive rate springs they will ride harsher, and at the same height your at now.

Look at the OME's for the front, 881's probably. For the back an AAL, or for more $$ an Alcan leaf Pack (recomended if you can afford it).

Most adjustable coils will they give you the height back, dont address the additional weight you've added.

Tim

1 - 5 of 5 Posts