TTORA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those who have the total chaos gen 3 caddy kit on their truck...since you can't use 4x4 did you swap out the tranny to a 2wd to save tons of weight or were you lazy and just left it in there, transfer case and all? Is it common for you desert long travel guys to convert 4x4 to 2wd? Thanks

·
Registered
92 Posts
I would probably keep the 4wd trans and transfer case. My 3.0 is a gutless turd and I use it in 4 low with hubs unlocked as a 2 low quite often.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok I was wondering because I have a w59 2wd tranny that I need to get rid of. Just wondering if there was a market for these or if it was just junk.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Which transmission is that you're trying to get rid of? What motor is it behind and is it manual or auto basically?

If it's a 5 speed manual to mate up to a 3.4L we're probably interested...

·
Registered
6 Posts
I ran both the 4wd and 2wd trans on my race truck when i had that kit. (red truck on chaos website) I liked the weight savings the 2wd trans had but i had to go back to the 4wd trans. My problem was with the 2wd trans, 1 peice driveshaft and a extended cab truck, made for a really long drive shaft and kept blowing out the rear seals. You could also just have a 2 peice shaft but if its a regular cab i say do it.

·
Registered
89 Posts
We kept the 4wd trans with tcase even thought we removed the fwd from the tcase so it still had low range. The 2wd's have a slip yoke, 4wds don't. We now have the 4.0L with a 6 speed manual with tcase and again the fwd is removed leaving just the high & low range.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts