TTORA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gettin ready to build my axles (HP D44, 14 bolt) for my 2.7 5spd soon to be SAS Tacoma and i was wondering if you would recomend 5.38 or 5.13 gears with 38.5" TSL tires. I also don't plan on running dual cases either. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
01rocktaco said:
Gettin ready to build my axles (HP D44, 14 bolt) for my 2.7 5spd soon to be SAS Tacoma and i was wondering if you would recomend 5.38 or 5.13 gears with 38.5" TSL tires. I also don't plan on running dual cases either. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
w/o a crawler you'd better go as low as you can. your will hate life on steep, hardcore trails w/o one with that big a tire.

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
GOT COPE? said:
Sounds like a mud truck.

a 4-banger mud truck? good luck ;)

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
GOT COPE? said:
Sounds like a mud truck.

his name implies it for the rocks, but who knows, the D44 is going to blow the hell up with even a 4 banger, unless he drives like a puss. so gears should be the least of his problem IMO. I never understood why chevy did the whole super strong rear axle (14bolt), with a POS front end (D44) I think they do have their places in rigs with 35's or under, ive been there tried it and it doesnt work.

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
zszac111 said:
his name implies it for the rocks, but who knows, the D44 is going to blow the hell up with even a 4 banger, unless he drives like a puss. so gears should be the least of his problem IMO. I never understood why chevy did the whole super strong rear axle (14bolt), with a POS front end (D44) I think they do have their places in rigs with 35's or under, ive been there tried it and it doesnt work.
then he'd better ditch the 44 and go either a 60 or a hi-9 to match that 9 in the rear ;)

·
Registered
43 Posts
01rocktaco said:
The 5.38's will be your best bet. I am not sure though that the 14 bolts will go that low. I have been running 5.38's in the front D44 and 5.29's in the back for over 4 years nows with a 2.7 Auto 38" TSL's No dual cases just a divorced Toyota t-case. Yep it's a mud trucks, crawls rocks etc... and still does 75 plus mph....

Later
Will
FL TTORa

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
01rocktaco said:
thanks for the advice... i think im gonna go with 5.38 gears. and i HATE mud lol actually i just hate the cleanup.
get a set of chromolly shafts for that 44 with that size tire ;)

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
D44 5.38 is going to have an extremely small pinion. Not very much tooth contact. Good thing it is only a 4 cyl.

-Trent

1 - 10 of 10 Posts