TTORA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i know this has been covered a billion times before but i cant find info regarding manual trannys only people with autos switching to 5.29 gears

i need to regear my truck, its got 33x10.5 tires, it weighs a TON (full skids, winch, bumpers, sliders, 2 batteries, aux 25gal tank, roof rack with 10+ gal of water on it, camper shell, sleeping platform, tools, spares etc..) i have a custom 9pack from alcan holding it up.

i live in aspen and generally drive up from my house.. air down in the driveway and go taylor, pearl etc. out to other places around here so i am generally at fairly high elevations

the truck is not a daily driver and lately i have been avoiding highways (last weekend i drove back from moab and it took 16 hours mostly dirt roads.

the info on running 5.29 gears that i have found has all been people with automatics. can anyone in the mountains (fairly high elevation) with a V6 manual and 33" tires let me know what its like? how bad is it on the highway? is mileage much worse? i know its pretty good to 70-75mph with an automatic and from what i have read it seems people with very heavy trucks get better mileage with the 5.29 gears with auto trannys.

what are the downsides with 5.29 gears? it seems like just about everything is better except for driving 75mph+ on the highway. i cant/shouldn't drive my truck much faster than 75 as it is, its tall, tippy and heavy and does not like to stop, but shifting into 3rd on the highway sucks and driving around feeling like the engine is bogged down all the time is not fun either so i gotta do something. from the limited amount i know about gears that i have learned in the past 2 weeks of reading i think i would be ok with either 5.29's or 4.88's but neither is really ideal, with the weight and elevation 5.29 might be better

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
5.29's and you will be glad you did. The down side is you cant do 140 mph and thats it. I say 5.29's on everything but 31's...Talk about a wake up for your rig!

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
4.88 - 33" tires

5.29 - 35" tires

If these don't work for ya...

you need to invest in a crawler box.

JM :2cents:

In cali yes in CO an N/a Car or truck makes less power. In some cases i would agree with the quoted statement but after driving nates truck on 33's and 5.29's my choice is clear.

Id go 4.88 for 31's and 5.29 for anything bigger. The altitude and the under powered motors of the 90's can use all the help they can get on the highway and in the hills.

·
Premium Member
20,629 Posts
I love my 5.29's with my Q78's (read larger than a 35), and they were also great with my 255's (about a 33.5). With my 33x9.5's though they are a bit much on the highway. Around town they are still great though. It all comes down to how much driving about 75 you will be doing, as they are great right up to there with the 5speed and 33's

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks for the input, ordering the 5.29's on monday

it might be a little too much at lower elevations but it also gives me an option to go with the next size up tire if i ever want to. i cant really remember the last time my truck was below 5000'.

i dont ever plan on putting a crawler in my truck as i doubt i would ever use it or need it, i would probably install a front locker before a crawler as well

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Odd man out...I think you are going to hate those gears with a v6 and 33's. Especially since you are jumping all the way from 4.10s. 4.56's or 4.88's ,maybe, but 5.29 is going to be like riding around on a rapped out YZ.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i don't generally drive on the highway. my truck is a 2000 and it has 94000 miles on it, its only driven offroad i have a tdi jetta i drive every day. 3400 rps is not all that bad. leave your truck in 4th and try it out on the highway. you wont be going the same speed but you can get an idea of the rpm.

if i lived in Alabama, Florida, California, Texas etc.. i would have to agree with you. driving a fully loaded tacoma at 12000' with 33" tires is a radically different situation than the average tacoma driver.

if it really sucks i get some bigger tires next time around, i already have the clearance for them.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts