TTORA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, basically I have an Interior cargo light that I want to turn on when I open the door, but aslo be able to turn it on with a switch, any ideas or diagrams on how I could do this? I figure ill need one relay per side... thanks guys

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hey guys, basically I have an Interior cargo light that I want to turn on when I open the door, but aslo be able to turn it on with a switch, any ideas or diagrams on how I could do this? I figure ill need one relay per side... thanks guys

just use a three position switch. up position is for when the door is opened it automatically comes on. middle position is off. bottom position is for manual override. that what i did with my driving lights on front. wired to the headlights. i can have them come on with highbeams off and manual override

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,202 Posts
How many amps does the light pull?

If it's less than 5A or so, just run it through a switch, no relay needed...

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's led so very low draw.. I'm basically wondering what a 5 pin relay will allow me to do.... use two different power sources to trip the relay? Or allow one power source to turn on two seperate circuits?

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,202 Posts
One power source for two circuits.

Don't even bother with a relay. The purpose of a relay is to keep the high current out if the cab as much as possible, and prevent the switch from wearing out. A led will never wear out a 20a switch, or even one rated for 5 amps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok thanks for the help. So imagine this. You have two toggle switches coming from one battery. Lets say two wires coming off the positive post. So you would have two hot wires coming from The switches, one from each switch. Now lets say that each one of those wires went to the same light. When you turn one switch on, the light would go on. Now if you turned on both switches, you would still only get 12v because both switches are coming from the same battery, but you would double the amps, correct?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Ok thanks for the help. So imagine this. You have two toggle switches coming from one battery. Lets say two wires coming off the positive post. So you would have two hot wires coming from The switches, one from each switch. Now lets say that each one of those wires went to the same light. When you turn one switch on, the light would go on. Now if you turned on both switches, you would still only get 12v because both switches are coming from the same battery, but you would double the amps, correct?

no you would just have a redundant power source. amps nor voltage would change as the led is just going to draw what it needs

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
no you would just have a redundant power source. amps nor voltage would change as the led is just going to draw what it needs
Ahhh I see thanks. So is it bad to have power flowing 2 ways thru a wire? By flipping.one switch on power would inherently go to the other switch and stop, until the 2nd switch was flipped, the the power would flow back to the light... I need to draw this shit out ha

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,202 Posts
Just use a on-off-on switch. It will do what you're trying to accomplish in one switch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts