TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who has towed a 3000 pound plus trailer with their 5 spd V6 Tacoma or 4Runner? Preferably those of you who are lifted with bigger tires. I have a '99 4Runner 3.4 V6 with a 5spd and 4.30 gears on 33" tires and today I tried to tow a 3000 pound camper. It was fine until I tried to start on a hill from a stop-then I smoked the hell out of the clutch and didn't move. This was a pretty steep hill. I am wanting to know if I could tow 3000 to 3500 pounds reliably with 4.88 gears in the mountains of Tennessee and North Carolina, so:

Please tell me what you have towed (weight) with your specs on your vehicle and your gear ratio and tire size.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have a v-6 5spd and 35in tires w/ 5.29 gears. I can tow my small boat fine (19ft and not a whole lot of wieght) but I tried to pull my friend's 25ft offshore boat and I couldn't start out on an incline w/out the use of 4lo. 35s and 5.29 would be a combo that would be capable of towing a heavy boat if anything is, so my guess is that there really isn't a simple solution. Maybe a supercharger. The fella I bought my Tacoma from was selling it because he bought a camper that his Tacoma couldn't handle so he bought a 2500 Ram. I guess in direct response to your question: my 35in/5.29 is about equal to your proposed 33in/4.88 combo and it didn't work for me. I will get the weight of my friend's boat/trailer and let you know.
Ryan

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
redneck said:
I have a v-6 5spd and 35in tires w/ 5.29 gears. I can tow my small boat fine (19ft and not a whole lot of wieght) but I tried to pull my friend's 25ft offshore boat and I couldn't start out on an incline w/out the use of 4lo. 35s and 5.29 would be a combo that would be capable of towing a heavy boat if anything is, so my guess is that there really isn't a simple solution. Maybe a supercharger. The fella I bought my Tacoma from was selling it because he bought a camper that his Tacoma couldn't handle so he bought a 2500 Ram.
Ryan

Thanks, 5.29's and 35's should be about the equivalent of 4.88's and 33's. The problem isn't power, it is just the take off gearing-starting from a stop on an incline. I thought about a Marlin Twin Stick and using 2lo to start on a steep hill, but on the road I would have to then stop and put it back in 2hi, so I would be the "ass" on the road.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Towing

I have a 98 5 speed 6 cylinder. I tow a 20ft boat a lot that weights about 3K. I also have a 16ft tandem axle flat bed that I have moved cars with. I think the longest tow that I did was about 100 miles with a mercedes diesel wagon on the trailer, the car alone must be about 4K. I did have to be careful about starting but the truck did it fine. Ohhh by the way I have 31 in tires so that makes a difference....

tom

·
Registered
150 Posts
My buddy had a 94 3.0L 5spd toyota on 35's with 5:29 gears and we towed a forklift with it and it was fine, went up and down hills fine.

·
Registered
503 Posts
dragr1 said:
Who has towed a 3000 pound plus trailer with their 5 spd V6 Tacoma or 4Runner? Preferably those of you who are lifted with bigger tires. I have a '99 4Runner 3.4 V6 with a 5spd and 4.30 gears on 33" tires and today I tried to tow a 3000 pound camper. It was fine until I tried to start on a hill from a stop-then I smoked the hell out of the clutch and didn't move. This was a pretty steep hill. I am wanting to know if I could tow 3000 to 3500 pounds reliably with 4.88 gears in the mountains of Tennessee and North Carolina, so:

Please tell me what you have towed (weight) with your specs on your vehicle and your gear ratio and tire size.
I have a stock 96 V6 4X4 5spd. My boat weighs 3200lbs with fuel and trailer its around 4600. I have trl brks. I have towed the boats on several long trips (over 1000 miles) and never had any problems. I also use it to get the boat to the ramp about 75 times a summer and never had any issues.

Later,

Chris

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
CMB1998 said:
I have a stock 96 V6 4X4 5spd. My boat weighs 3200lbs with fuel and trailer its around 4600. I have trl brks. I have towed the boats on several long trips (over 1000 miles) and never had any problems. I also use it to get the boat to the ramp about 75 times a summer and never had any issues.

Later,

Chris

Sounding like my clutch is part of the problem. That compounded with the 33's and the extra weight of all my offroad stuff is what probably made the clutch smoke? Maybe a new clutch and 4.88's would do the trick?

·
Registered
713 Posts
I have a tandem axle car trailer "1800 lbs" and I usually carry a great deal of either tree stumps, limbs, or whole trees, " 1000-2500 lbs" I have a 95 3.0L V6 , 31x10.50 , and 431 gears 5spd. Also a Jet ECU. Towing is slow going even with the trailer unloaded but she does it and I have 97,000 Miles The electronic brake controller is helpful.

Aaron

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I've got a 99 V6 5spd with 32"s and factory gears and I tow a 19 foot 3700lb boat with no problem. Starting on hills has always been a concern for me, but i've never had a problem yet. I think you might have been needing a new clutch, and now I'm sure you will need one soon.
Tim

·
Registered
503 Posts
dragr1 said:
Sounding like my clutch is part of the problem. That compounded with the 33's and the extra weight of all my offroad stuff is what probably made the clutch smoke? Maybe a new clutch and 4.88's would do the trick?
I have had a few times when i have been on steep hills and had to start from a dead stop. I have smoked the crap out of it a few times. The trick i do is to use 4low to get up the hill then go back to 2 hi. I have 130K on my clutch and have been pulling the boat since about 100k.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
CMB1998 said:
I have had a few times when i have been on steep hills and had to start from a dead stop. I have smoked the crap out of it a few times. The trick i do is to use 4low to get up the hill then go back to 2 hi. I have 130K on my clutch and have been pulling the boat since about 100k.
I'm gonna have to try shifting from lo to hi while moving. Do you have to be below a certain speed to shift out of lo and into hi?

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
dragr1 said:
I'm gonna have to try shifting from lo to hi while moving. Do you have to be below a certain speed to shift out of lo and into hi?
it will be easier on your tcase if you just stay in low range and up-shift as needed to clear the hill.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I tow my driftboat, but it is only about 1500#'s total weight so I can't tell you about the heavier loads , I do put my boat in and take it out in some steep spots and the 4.88s are the way to go when it comes to getting the 33" tires rolling from a dead stop on a grade. the only real disadvantage is that you loose a bit of your freeway speed, as in to achieve 75 mph in fifth with 4.88's and 33" tires you need to have the engine rpms a bit higher than with 4.30's .... Its not a perfect world but I believe regearing to 4.88's or reducing your tire size down to 31" are going to be your best answers. replacing the clutch and surfacing the flywheel might be a good idea since it sounds like you have slipped it quite a bit, it is probably glazed wich will make it slip more also . You might want to consider replacing it with a Centerforce dual friction or one of the heavy duty ones that some of the other companies offer...... Good luck .....Von Warner

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a 2001 dub cab supercharged, 5.38's and 37" boggers. I tow a Tahoe Pak Rat 18' toy hauler with 3 Banshee's (about 5200# loaded) I have towed this all over Ca. up down hills everywhere. Just gota take it slow

Oh yah I have swaped the auto for a 5 spd. and have trailer brakes

Ryan

·
Registered
503 Posts
dragr1 said:
I dont think you can shift out of 4lo with out stoping. I know I cant in my truck. I usually only do this for a few 100 feet then stop put back in 2hi and move on.

Later,

Chris

·
Registered
223 Posts
I can shift from low to high while moving in my 01. Do the 2 low mod and it will be a little easier on the t-case shifting to 2 hi. Sounds like you need a new clutch also. You might consider a stronger clutch like the TRD or a centerforce DF.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ZETTNORCAL said:
I have a 2001 dub cab supercharged, 5.38's and 37" boggers. I tow a Tahoe Pak Rat 18' toy hauler with 3 Banshee's (about 5200# loaded) I have towed this all over Ca. up down hills everywhere. Just gota take it slow

Oh yah I have swaped the auto for a 5 spd. and have trailer brakes

Ryan
Wow, that sounds like a hell of a truck! You have really done some mods to convert to 5 speed, run 37's and pull that trailer. Got any pics of all that?
I'm assuming that you like the 5 speed much better for towing?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
About this Discussion
43 Replies
22 Participants
BMWTACO
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing