TTORA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I know there are a few closet revo fans, thought I'd pass on some info about my experiences.

A few years ago I went with the LT 265/75R16 bridgestone revos (load rating C). Mounted, balanced, out the door was $605 (the firestone dealer pricematched the good internet deals). These have been on an '01 dbl cab since then.

Pros;
-Very good manners in rain, snow, ice, sand roads, gravel roads, dirt roads, wet grass. Don't really have rocks in this area, so I can't comment on rock crawling
-Excellent wear considering my failure to keep the truck aligned, and my poor practice of rotating the tires. (I still have 6/32s of tread remaining, a little uneven in some places due to rotation practice).
-Actually performed well in mud (not mud bogging, but I also have 4x4 and the e-locker. So I would not compare these to a MT)
-better wear than the HTs that came OEM.

Cons;
-Not a mud tire.
-Much louder now (and will be louder than any HT or "Highway Tire" that comes OEM)
-Probably not a good choice for rock crawling.

Comparison;
Everyone is different *disclaimer* and some are concerned about looks, so you'll have to decide what "looks best" on your own. But I don't armorall/grease-up my tires, and I don't really care if the white lettering is in or out. However, on the revos it looks better to put the white lettering in (out of sight) :D
-I have had the BFG a/t (but on a bronco) and would consider them a good tire also. I was able to get the revos quite a bit cheaper than the BFG a/ts though. From my experience the performance of the revos were better in rain and ice, and some snow. Noise is about the same (depending on rotation and alignment). I don't know about mileage, so if someone has 50K on BFGs (on a tacoma) with more to go... good for you.

Summation;
If you're looking for a decent a/t and put a lot of miles on your tacoma, check out the revos. If I was to do it over, I still would choose the revo over the BFG a/t, because the revo performs well off road (I'm not hard core though, mostly easier stuff) but it also has great all weather street manners. Plus I could get the revo quite a bit cheaper.

This summer I will be looking for new tires, and would prefer to go to a
255/85R16 in an a/t since I put 60+ miles a day on the tacoma (can't justify an MT). If revo made that size I'd stick with them, and I may have to consider a 285 due to the brand limits in 255/85.

Last *disclaimer* Remember, this is just my opinion based on my real world experience. Hopefully it helped someone.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Good synopsis. I've got just over 60k on my set with close to a quarter inch of tread left (I rotate the spare in every 5k, so you could knock 20% off the mileage of each tire). I too have run the BFG A/T and I think the REVO is a better all around tire. Better road manners and equally capable off road. I'd buy another set for my truck if I planned on keeping it as my daily driver.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I had planned to get the Revos for my Taco, but when I priced them, they were $200 higher than even BFGs. I chose the Cooper Discoverer STTs, both on price (cheaper than BFG and Revo) but also because of the huge ass thread here about them. If I could have found the Revos for the price you got from your dealer, then I absolutely would have bought them... maybe next time! :) Thanks for writing up your review!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Any chance you still have the site where you printed off that price?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Any chance you still have the site where you printed off that price?
PM'd you with some local info. Unfortunately the revos have become more popular, and basic economics ensues so they're closer to BFG prices. Sometimes you can locate a lower price on the internet, but may be for a P tire and not a LT.

Firestone dealers are pretty good about trying to match that price with an LT tire, you just need to be aware that some may have a reputation for poor work ethics. They're in business to make money, not save you money. The more educated the consumer, the less likely the consumer will be gouged. Just don't ask them about the haweka adaptor and lug centric vs hub centric. Luckily I had a copy of the Toyota TSB and called their BS.

·
Registered
317 Posts
i am surprised you only have 6/32s left.. i have close to 30k on my destination m/ts with a little less than 2/3 remaining..

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
I got my 265/75 from Costco for $485 :) I sold them before I got too many miles on them for some muds, but they were a great tire when I had them.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i am surprised you only have 6/32s left.. i have close to 30k on my destination m/ts with a little less than 2/3 remaining..
Good for you. But you're comparing a harder (load D or E) tire to the C revo. 2/3 of an inch left? I assume you're estimating 2/3 of your tread left? Since destinations start out around 19/32s = .59" and 2/3" = .67". Reg or ext cab, I have heard good things about the destinations. A little off topic, but they're made by the same company.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts