TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK I need help. I have a 85 runner with a stock rear axel ARB lockers and 529 gears. For some reason I keep breaking the pinion gear. The first time it locked up going down the road. Big bummer. This time I caught it and will be changing it out before that. I don't have that many miles on it and even less trail miles. Is anyone else having the same problem? I called yesterday and my gear supplier said he can get some new high tincel steel gears now and I guess I will try them next. Am I doing something wrong or are these just the way it is? Is there another way to go without changing out the axel? Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
358 Posts
My initial thought is that the ARB i snot in right... but I don't know. I run 5.29s in my 87 Toyota and have no problems. I am fully locked (welded) and have not experienced this.

Just curious, are the gears American made? The reason I ask is that the guy who did mine showed me 3 different examples of foreign gears which had the pinions cracked after only a brief break in period.

Gives new meaning to that, doesn't it...

·
Premium Member
2,538 Posts
what gears you running, manuf? yukon, precesion etc
whos doing install? who is your supplier? run away from chinese made.

my first guess would be install not done well. break in important but IMO not as important as install.

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
send your junk to Zuk and worry nomore -
http://gearinstalls.com/

Wood Butcher said:
OK I need help. I have a 85 runner with a stock rear axel ARB lockers and 529 gears. For some reason I keep breaking the pinion gear. The first time it locked up going down the road. Big bummer. This time I caught it and will be changing it out before that. I don't have that many miles on it and even less trail miles. Is anyone else having the same problem? I called yesterday and my gear supplier said he can get some new high tincel steel gears now and I guess I will try them next. Am I doing something wrong or are these just the way it is? Is there another way to go without changing out the axel? Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
65 Posts
5.29 gears break pretty easy in general, because of small teeth contact. With 4.88s you get more teeth contactig at any given time so they will be much stronger. I have a friend that had 5.29s in his 85 4runner and he broke them in no time. Now he has 4.88s and has never broken one. I'm getting 4.88s.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
Sounds like cheap made chinese gears and crappy install. Please use a good installer and good quality gears like Yukons(not value gear), Sierra, Motive, and Presicion Gear

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
Also you should not be breaking 5.29s with the correct setup.

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
I'm not the gear expert Zuk is - here is a write-up from his site
http://gearinstalls.com/410suck.htm
I asked him to jump on this thread so hopefully he will.

SolidYota said:
5.29 gears break pretty easy in general, because of small teeth contact. With 4.88s you get more teeth contactig at any given time so they will be much stronger. I have a friend that had 5.29s in his 85 4runner and he broke them in no time. Now he has 4.88s and has never broken one. I'm getting 4.88s.

·
Registered
951 Posts
5.29's should not break on you, it sounds like they were not set up right...make sure to use a solid spacer on the pinion rather than a crush sleeve....I am locked f/r 5.29, no problems...and it is my DD too

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
Don't tell me - I agree with you.

Boheefus said:
5.29's should not break on you, it sounds like they were not set up right...make sure to use a solid spacer on the pinion rather than a crush sleeve....I am locked f/r 5.29, no problems...and it is my DD too

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
x2 for Zuk

The lower the gear ratio, the more critical the setup. Both 5.29's and 5.71's only have 7 teeth on the pinion... not much room for error before you lose significant tooth contact! Big difference to 4.88 that has 8 teeth and 4.56 which has 9.

You can also have the gears cryo treated to gain some strength, but you shouldn't really need it with a GREAT setup and decent gears. Provides some margin of safety though and only costs like $40.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Send it to Zuk...

You're not getting a quality install where ever you're going. That's what's causing the carnage.

Zuk is surprisingly affordable too... Cheap piece of mind.

·
Registered
754 Posts
wait, you did put the 5.29's in both front and rear axles, right?

·
Registered
73 Posts
TBob said:
send your junk to Zuk and worry nomore -
http://gearinstalls.com/
Agreed! He set up my detroit/yukon 4.88 rear and truetrac front and it was a beautiful piece of work. Been used HARD. I would trust his 5.29 setup in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
people run 5.71s with no problems... its all in the setup.....

·
Registered
754 Posts
Paul said:
That wouldn't have any effect on the axles, just the transfercase.
oh, yeah, good point...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts