TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
going to be rebuilding a 55 willys soon and looking for ideas.
I'm thinking about using a 2.7 and locked fzj 80 axles with duel cases. not decided on suspension design but all in all i just need input. i don't want to go as extreme as the willy mammoth. maybe just 35's and 4.88 and it will need to be street legal for the most part.

i haven't seen it in about 5 years but i don't think its too rusty

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
haha, i was just about to say check out the willy mammoth on marlin crawler's board....

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
supra

i know i have came across somewhere , a 4x4 using a supra motor. dose anyone have any input in this. I'm thinking the motor budget will be about 2k so maybe a used Japanese motor

931 Posts
elliot_irwin said:
going to be rebuilding a 55 willys soon and looking for ideas.
I'm thinking about using a 2.7 and locked fzj 80 axles with duel cases. not decided on suspension design but all in all i just need input. i don't want to go as extreme as the willy mammoth. maybe just 35's and 4.88 and it will need to be street legal for the most part.

i haven't seen it in about 5 years but i don't think its too rusty
So this is the wagon?

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for the site

this is the open top jeep lookin one i think its a cj-3a???

either way its not going to be much of a Willys underneath

·
Registered
414 Posts
Why spend $2,000 on a Supra motor? You're not going to be wrapping it up to 7 grand on the trails anyway.

*Although I've always been curious to see how a turbo motor behaves in 4 low.

931 Posts
elliot_irwin said:
thanks for the site

this is the open top jeep lookin one i think its a cj-3a???

either way its not going to be much of a Willys underneath
Sorta like this?

If thats the case, keep in mind that you will need to replace the frame also.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
A buddy of mine has a 43 KnuckleHead, and a 46 CJ.. They are tough little jeeps!! Especially the 43!! it has paper work that it was in use during WW2... Pretty cool stuff to see history like that!!

931 Posts
elliot_irwin said:
a lot like that. what wont work about the frame? just too weak?[/QUOTE)

Yes. Especially when you put a heavier and more powerful motor in there. The frames were known to crack with the stock engines, most of them that I have seen are cracked around the leaf spring mounts to some extent, especially on the older models. Every one I have owned from 1957 back has had at least one crack somewhere.

·
Premium Member
2,060 Posts
I have a 47 Willys CJ2A. If yours is a 55 and has flatfenders, it's probably a CJ3B "high-hooder" with an F-head 134 (about 65 hp). If it has round fenders, it's a CJ-5. Anyway, the stock F-head 134 is probably heavier (all cast iron and pretty huge to begin with) than a 3.4L, but I could be wrong about that. I've heard that 225 V6's and even Ford Pinto engines are popular engine swaps for flatties/early CJs. As for frame cracks, it's true that alot of these, due to their age, have developed a few cracks. Mine just has a crack on the front crossmember that I need to weld up.

Personally, I'd go with D44's front and rear and maybe a 225 V6 - plenty of parts (Landcruiser axles aren't necessarily cheap or plentiful), much easier to install (no need for massive customization) and you'd be keeping that high-hooder more true to its historical nature. Yours should already have a rear Dana 44 stock, but with the tapered D44 axles (not as strong as the later D44 axles). The front is probably a 10-spline Dana 27 (change it out for a front D44 if you want to run 35s or even 33s cuz it's relatively weak). Alot of 'em came with 5.38 gear ratio stock! I'd also stick with 33s instead of 35s since it's such a short wheelbase. Then again, it's yours to do with what you want. Only thing I ask is that you post lots of before and after pics regardless of what you decide to go with!

Also, here are some good links that might help ya with it:

www.earlycj5.com (although mostly geared towards CJ5's, lots of knowledgeable folks on the early CJ Willys vehicles)

www.willystech.com

www.thecj2apage.com

www.cj-3a.com

http://www.film.queensu.ca/cj3b/

Hope this helps!

931 Posts
When the engine in my old 57 went out we swapped a Pinto engine in. It was a perfect swap. Not much additional weight, but much easier to get parts for and much more power.

Right now I have 2 47's and a 51 M-38. Just more projects that I dont have time for right now!

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
bump

OK the willys should be delivered in the next few days. lets hear some ideas on this build.
i'll post up pictures when its here.

this is what i have so far

new frame http://www.matkinsextreme.com/index.html
2.7 L haven't found one yet.
turbo tranny with new marlin bell housing
duel cases 2.28/4.7
pick up axles, ARB's, longs and chromos, 5.29 r/p
suspension, no clue. thinking about piecing together stuff from ballistic fab with a link design on coilovers. want to have no more than 5'' of lift.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I like the 2.7 idea, if you can't find one maybe a 22r would fit and be easier to use. The 225 v6 is the best idea for $ and ease, you could just keep the stock transfer case. With that much torque you should be o.k. for most shit.

I had a 53 with a 287ci and 33" tires.
The v8 was cool for throwing 40 ft roosts of mud, but in reality too much power just fucks these things up and makes them a novelty. Mine was a real pile with bad brakes, and rusted out body mounts. I sold the pile 3 years ago and never looked back.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
My older brother has a 52 Willys with an 84 Toyota pickup drivetrain under it, 22R, trans, t-case, axles. He's been wheeling all around the Sierra's for the last 10 years without any major problems. I do believe he had smog issues with it originally (He's in northern Ca).

1 - 20 of 40 Posts